Lilypie

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Amazon = Amazing?

I have always known Amazon as a retailer of great books at good rates, although since the currency is in US$, it is still a tad expensive for me, especially with shipping costs involved. Nevertheless, I have always been able to find books via Amazon, when I am not able to find them anywhere else.
 
I came across Amazon a very long time ago. I cannot remember how I came across this, but all I know was that I went into the website and that was when I discovered it is actually an online bookstore. If I am not mistaken, it is probably the first online bookstore selling all kinds of books, new and old.
 
Since then, I have been buying quite a number of books from Amazon. In recent years, they have branched out into selling CDs and DVDs too, of songs and movies. When the digital age and media came along, they also started selling podcasts and media files of songs.
 
Then they came up with the Amazon Kindle, an online book reader, before Apple came up with the iPad. I have never bought the Kindle, nor do I ever intend to, as I still proclaim that a paperback is the best way to read a book. Still, I have seen people using the Kindle on public transport.
 
Recently, I discovered that Amazon is not just selling books, movies and music, but has also branched out into selling other things like clothes, bags, jewellery, even makeup products! Seems like it is no longer an online book seller, but an online seller of just about anything! Perhaps because nowadays the book and music business is no longer lucrative?
 
I bought my new Deuter bag and the Maybelline Great Lash Mascara via Amazon, which is how I found out that they have branched out into selling all kinds of products nowadays. It is really amazing, is it not, that an online book retailer can start out as a samll business and grow into one of the largest online businesses in the world? Perhaps I should start my own online business too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...