Lilypie

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Looking Forward To Redang

After falling in love with the pristine beach and beautiful scenery of the show "Summer Holiday" starring Sammi Cheng and Richie Ren, I have always wanted to have a chance to go to Redang. Finally I have this chance, so I will be in Redang this Sunday to Tuesday.
 
Going to Redang is not as easy as I thought. First, it is an island off Kuala Terangganu, a place where there is hardly any tourist. For those who are flying, they will have to fly to Kuala Lumpur, then fly to Kuala Terangganu, then fly to Redang. Otherwise if you are lucky, you can catch a direct flight from Kuala Lumpur to Redang, but that only occurs on certain days.
 
I believe there used to be a direct flight from here to Redang, but for some reason the flight has stopped. So now for those going to Redang, we have to go via Kuala Terangganu. To save money and cut the hassle, I decided to take a bus.
 
Even so, it is hard to find a bus that goes direct, as in direct to Kuala Terangganu. I sourced high and low before finally finding this bus that goes direct from here to Kuala Terangganu, but it only travels twice a day, once in the morning and the other at night.
 
Booking the bus is another hassle. We have to take into account the ferry timing. Ferries come mostly in the morning, at seven, nine or ten. If we miss the ferry, we would have to wait until three in the afternoon, which is a waste of a day since by the time we reached Redang, it would already be evening.
 
So the best option is to take the ferry at nine in the morning, at the jetty at Kuala Terangganu. Luckily the resort is able to give us a shuttle from the bus terminus to the ferry terminal. I am presuming there is only one bus terminus, otherwise I will have no idea how to make my way around.
 
I booked the night bus, so I can save time and accommodation and arrive in Kuala Terangganu early in the morning to catch the ferry. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the bus will not break down like my previous bus trip to Kuala Lumpur, where the tyre punctured and the bus was stuck in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night for four hours.
 
The whole bus journey will take around nine hours. Since that part of the peninsula is not as cosmopolitan as Kuala Lumpur hence technology may not be as advanced, I was not able to book the bus on my end. The website only allows Malaysian bank accounts and credit cards issued by Malaysian banks. Even my colleague who has a Maybank credit card issued locally cannot help me out. In the end, Julie had to help me book the bus using her card.
 
Since there are only two bus timings a day, I also have to take into account the time the ferry drops us back at Kuala Terangganu. So I had to book the night bus coming back too. Hence, I would have to leave on Saturday night, and come back on Tuesday night, reaching back here only on Wednesday morning.
 
At least I have several hours to wander around before catching the bus back! It is a good opportunity to see a place that I have never seen before, and one that is not that well-known. Hopefully this trip will be enriching and fulfilling!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...