Lilypie

Monday, March 11, 2013

The Birds ...

No, I am not talking about the horror psychotic Alfred Hitchcock's movie. Rather, I went to the Bird Park for the first time in twenty years! I have always wanted to visit the bird park again, but never got a chance to. Firstly, the entrance fees are expensive. Secondly, it is rather out of the way for me, and for someone who does not drive, it is a hassle getting to.
 
However, since Groupon was having a great discount on entrance fees, I thought why not? Just go and see how much the place has changed. So after church yesterday, I took an hour and a half bus ride, plus another bus to reach the place. As I said, the place is really out of the way since it is all the way around the western end of the island whereas my place is nearer to the eastern end.
 
After not going to the bird park for umpteen years, I was not expecting anything. I know definitely the place has changed a lot. Just how much, I do not know. I cannot even remember how it was like the last time I came because I was still pretty young.
 
In the end, it was a pretty fulfilling trip. I got to see many varieties of birds. The place is smaller than I expected though. I could go in, take the tram round, walk round, and go out in less than two hours the most! I guess because the only species are birds, birds and more birds, hence there is nothing really much to see after that, unlike the zoo where there are many more varieties of animals, hence the place is much bigger.
 
At least I got to see some of my favourite birds - the owls, the hawks, the penguins, and the pelicans. Of course there are other birds like flamingos, cockatoos, macaws, even ostrichs and emus. I saw the Sarawak Hornbill too, ironically since I did not get to see a real life one when I went to Sarawak last year. So I would say it was a pretty good trip overall!
 
Here are the birds I came across :

 Black swans lounging around the lake at the entrance

 Penguin parade!
 


 Happy feet!
 



 Noisy parrots
 




 Flamingos
 

 A barn owl
 
 Snowy owl
 



 Scarlet Ibis
 
 This stork is together with the scarlet ibis
 
 Blue Crested Victoria Pigeon
 
 Sarawak's native bird - the Hornbill
 
 An eagle
 
 America's bald eagle
 
 The ostrich - the biggest and fastest bird in the world
 

 An emu
 
 Pelicans
 


 A cockatoo
 
 The colourful macaws
 


 Flamingos by the lake
 

2 comments:

JC said...

Babe, the bird you labelled "Sarawak's Native Bird - the Hornbill" is actually a Toucan. Sarawak Hornbill is much larger than that.

juphelia said...

Oh, thanks for the clarification. Looks like the bird park labelled wrongly, as that bird cage is labelled as "Sarawak Hornbill".

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...