Lilypie

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A "Bag" Lady

I went to a second hand shop to try to sell off some bags and wallets I had. I had two Louis Vuitton tote bags and two Prada wallets to sell off. I had only used them a couple of times, so I decided to sell them off rather than let them stay in my room and rot. However, when I reached the shop, the owner claimed that without the receipt, she could not take it as there is no proof of authenticity.

How am I supposed to have receipts after so long? I am not those who keep receipts (unless for special occasions). Do the Authenticity Cards not suffice? What is the fuss about brands or whatnots anyway, that we must show the receipts as proof that we did buy the products from the boutiques? Luckily my friend bought the two Prada wallets from me, but for the two Louis Vuittons, I am still looking for buyers.

I am not exactly a brand person. That is not to say I will not enjoy brands once in a while. I have been carrying a Prada wallet around ever since the brand became popular. Occasionally during some Christmases, my mum would give me a Prada bag. When she goes overseas, she would buy me a Prada bag at times. Sometimes she would get me Louis Vuitton, Kipling, Polo Ralph Lauren and Esprit bags. (Remember, I am into bags?)

As a result (excluding those I have sold or am thinking of selling), I now have four Prada bags, two Louis Vuitton bags, and various others like Esprit, Kipling, Elle, Adidas (that was a birthday gift last year) and Valentino. It will be nice to own a Coach, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and Chanel too, but at times practicality has to take precedence.

The thing is, I am not a brand person as in I must only get a certain brand or cannot live without a certain brand. To me, as long as the quality and design is nice, and will not burn too big a hole in my pocket, that is all that matters, notwithstanding the brand name. Having said that, I prefer Prada over any other brand because of the simplicity yet elegance of the classic design. If it is not because I have generous loved ones and friends around me, I will never be able to afford so many.

So I can never understand those people who change a new bag every few weeks just to show that it is the newest model of a particular brand. Where do they get the money from? Even though I collect bags, I still carry the same bag to work, and change my bags according to occasion. I do not change a new one every few weeks.

For instance, on Mondays to Thursdays I carry the professional black Valentino, which I have been using ever since I started work in the corporate world. On casual Fridays, I change my bag according to my outfit and whether I will be going out at night and where I will be going. My weekends the type of bag will depend on where I will be going, who I will be meeting, what I will be doing. And of course, I have a special bag for Lunar New Year to collect the red packets!

So even though it is nice to own branded stuff, there is only so many things one can have. To be honest, just how many things do we need? For me, it is time to get rid of a few stuff so as not to clutter up my room. I can clear my stuff and get some cash back at the same time, so why not?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...