Lilypie

Monday, July 27, 2009

A Little Inkling ....

The one month hiatus has been good. It makes me more focused on certain issues at hand. First and foremost, what do I want to do? I have tried a variety of jobs, from music and education to private practice to in-house. There are reports on lawyers leaving the practice to be chefs, bakers, lecturers, entrepreneurs, actors, etc.

For instance, Wild Rocket restaurant at Mount Emily (and the adjoining bar) is set up by a former lawyer. So is Awfully Chocolate. Local drama personalities like Neo Swee Lin (who happened to be my senior in secondary school), Ivan Heng (who directed me for the Madame Butterfly performance) and Adrian Pang were all lawyers. One of the baritones in the Singapore Lyric Opera where I used to be a member was a lawyer, and he gave up practice to go to Italy to study voice.

Which makes me wonder, do I want to be in this line for life? I like variety. I always believe that variety is the spice of life. Which makes others feel that I cannot settle or be committed to anything. But the fact is if I am stuck doing the same things day in day out, I will be bored to death!

A few years back, I was thinking of setting up a café. This is nothing to do with anyone, but it was just an idea I had. In fact, when I was still with my then-boyfriend in university, we ever joked that if we retired next time, we would open up an eatery. Alas, it was not a joke for me, as the seeds of the plan already started being implanted in my head.

Then he had a stint in Starbucks during school vacations, where whenever I popped in to his outlet, he would concoct his own coffee just for me. It was a decaf mocha freeze, but it tasted really good! He refused to tell me how he made that, but I loved it! I started thinking if he and I owned a café, we would concoct our own brew!

Needless to say, due to circumstances, the café plan was shelved. Until two years back. I was again sharing this plan with someone, who said he would support me and we would run it together. But then, circumstances happened again, so again, this was shelved.

Lately, this idea has been pretty strong in my mind. I even thought up the concept of the café – Victorian theme, quaint design. It will be a bookshop within a café, where people can go in and read or buy books, drink coffee, with variety of cakes, cookies, cupcakes and muffins. There will be a grand piano and a small platform for live band performances and dancing.

I know that running an eatery is not easy, especially in the local context where the competition is so intense. First and foremost, I need to find capital, which I am severely lacking of right now, in order to run a café. Secondly, I must find a good location, good interior decorators, good staff, all these of which I am also lacking, since even though I know quite a number of people, I do not know enough people to be able to convince them to drop everything to work for me.

Thus, the seeds are still planted in my mind, but they cannot be sown at this moment. Maybe one of these days this dream will come true, but for now, it remains just a dream. There are so many dreams I have, which I do hope all can come true in my lifetime at least, then I can die with no regrets!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...