Lilypie

Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Dream Wedding ....

I will be helping out at a close friend’s wedding this October. Hers will be a rather simple wedding, just the traditional tea ceremony at the hotel, then solemnization with a pastor and a poolside dinner. How cool!

Unfortunately, despite both her husband and her being of the same denomination, they do not attend the same church, so it is a bit complicated why they cannot hold their wedding ceremony in a church, even if they want to. Yes, church people do play politics too, sad to say!

I have thought of how my dream wedding is like. I believe I have mentioned before that I had planned out how the wedding is like, what will happen, all that is missing now is the groom. I used to think I want a big wedding, full of pomp and fanfare. Afterall, it is only for once in my lifetime, so why not make it as fanciful as possible?

But as the years go by, with more weddings to attend, I am starting to think that perhaps a big do is not that necessary. Most of my friends have big weddings in ballrooms, but all just blend together, nothing out of the ordinary. I want a wedding that is both memorable, unforgettable yet intimate at the same time.

So what will my dream wedding be like? It must be a church ceremony first, of course. It will be a full mass, not just a wedding mass. The band and choir will belt out their tunes. I will have my own special vow. At the end of the mass, we will each dedicate a song to each other before marching out.

The reception comes later. It can be in a ballroom or a cosy restaurant. It will have a musical themed where instead of the usual march-in of the bridal couple into the ballroom or restaurant, it will be a medley of songs sung by either one of the couple or helpers during the march-in. Then the meal will proceed.

As usual, in the middle of the meal, there will be time for speeches and games. The bridal couple will then dance in, a medley of three or four dances, of latin and ballroom, until they reach the stage or platform. Champagne popping will come next, then speeches, thank yous and dedication to our parents. After that the floor is open for dancing.

This is the kind of wedding I like – with fun, music and laughter, not just a mere ballroom and photo-taking session. Having said that, I always profess that a wedding is but one day, a marriage is a lifetime. Yes, it is one thing to make that one special day memorable and unforgettable, but the true meaning of marriage is not in the party or ceremony, but how the couple live together after that.

In other words, marriage is not the end of a relationship. It is a beginning of commitment, of a new phase in the couple’s life, that they are living together as one. And that is why getting married is so wonderful – because both are willing to commit to each other and adapt and care for another person for the rest of their lives. It is only a pity not many are willing to make that kind of commitment, and those who are willing are already committed. Oh well….

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...