Lilypie

Monday, July 20, 2009

More About Moi!

There have been quite a number of "newcomers" of late. Some have indicated they would like to know more about me. Actually from what I have blabbed so far, I think people will have a pretty good idea how I am like. Anyway, short of asking others to read the archives because I do not think anyone will really bother reading my past entries just to know me, for the benefit of the newcomers, here is a summarised version of me in a nutshell. This was adapted from the Facebook's meme of "25 Things".

1. I was born a free-thinker and the eldest and only daughter of three children to very conservative and traditional Chinese parents, but adopted Western ways and converted to Roman Catholicism in my secondary school years, although I did not get baptised and confirmed until my mid-twenties. I have relatives from Indonesia, Australia, Hong Kong, Malta, Canada and China (of course!). Even though my natural heritage is Chinese, I have been told I do not look quite like one.

2. I love food! Fast food, slow food, Asian, Western, as long as it is food! My only sin is gluttony (ok, maybe sloth too!). I am a chocoholic with a sweet tooth. I cannot resist milk chocolates, chocolate ice cream, chocolate malt, drinking chocolate, chocolate milkshake, hot chocolate, et al! My food can be very sweet and very salty, but I cannot take sour and bitter. In any case, I am more carnivorous. I prefer white meat to red meat, and fruit to vegetables. I am never a salad person, and I only eat mild tasting fruit like apples and bananas, and sweet ones like rock melons and water melons. Pineapples are a no-no, too sour for me!

3. My favourite colours are white and pink. Why? I have no idea! I just find these two colours rather soothing to my eyes!

4. I speak English (to friends, co-workers and family) and Mandarin (to parents and elderly), but I consider myself mono-lingual since my flair of the Chinese language is hardly up to par. I can understand a bit of my dad's dialect (Hainanese) but I can hardly speak my mum's dialect (Heng Hua). I want to learn as many languages as possible, starting from Japanese, French, Indonesian, Korean, Spanish, German and Italian.

5. I consider myself a bookworm, movie buff and music fan, and a hopeless romantic. Last count my books number five hundred and growing. Music CDs one hundred and growing. Movie discs (VCDs and DVDs, which include drama serials of all genres) three hundred and growing. I am running out of space to store them!

6. I started learning the electone, but later branched out to piano, and dabbled with violin, cello, flute, voice and recorder too. However, I have only performed publicly and competed on the electone and piano for music festivals.

7. Singing is one of my greatest passions. I was ever in the school choir, and had a performing stint with the Singapore Lyric Opera. I still sing as and when during karaoke sessions and church choirs. My dream is to sing like Sarah Brightman! So is dancing, and wish to take on more dance lessons, in ballet, tap, latin and ballroom.

8. I am not a shoe person. I buy shoes only when the occasion calls for it. However, I am into clothes, bags, accessories, cosmetics, books, CDs and VCDs / DVDs. I only have five pairs of shoes (one for work, one pair of ankle straps for special occasions, thongs for casual outings, one pair of ankle boots and one pair of knee-length boots, no Crocs or Birkies), but lots of bags of various sizes, many pairs of sunglasses, six watches, and I do not even want to start on clothings, cosmetics and accessories!

9. I am not a sporty person. I do not run or jog or hike. I only play certain racquet sports. My favourite sport is tennis, and I will drop everything to play it once I have a companion to play. Squash is a close second. I do not play badminton, I swim only because I have to, not because I want to, and the only other sports I enjoy are bowling and ice-skating. Having said that, I do hope to learn diving and roller blading one of these days!

10. I am more right-brain than left-brain, so words and speech do loads for me, but numbers and figures simply do not cut it with me. Hence, I was ever in the school debate team, which probably accounts and justifies why I am (still) so assertive, argumentative, outspoken and opinionated.

11. I have myopia since the age of eight but refused to wear glasses until the age of ten when I could hardly read the words on the classroom board. Since then, I have been battling with myopia, glasses and lenses until now. The last I check, it is five hundred fifty per eye, which means I am totally blind without my glasses or lenses!
12. The right person for me has to be someone intellectual with a high IQ, reads a fair deal, cultured and knowledgeable, articulate and can hold decent conversations, emotionally-sensitive yet has pretty high EQ, witty (but not corny), financially-savvy with a high FQ, just a tad romantic, sweet, absolutely truthful, humble and not painfully boring. For him, I will pledge my life and get married, only once, and it will be a case of "in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, till death do us part".

13. I am rheseus positive, ie my blood group is O+, which means I am a universal giver, but not a universal taker.

14. I love musicals, operas and plays! My favourite is "The Phantom of the Opera" as I simply adore the Phantom! "Les Miserables" is a close second. I also enjoy live concerts by my favourite singers and will hope to catch them when they come here to perform, like the upcoming Michael Learns to Rock "Eternity" concert tour!

15. I love cooking and baking, even though I hardly have the chance to. I love concocting my own recipes! I have gone for some cooking and baking classes, and hope to go for more!

16. I do not smoke, gamble, sleep around, indulge in one night stands and buy lottery or numbers. I do swear at times and drink occasionally, I prefer wine to beer, red wine to white wine, and I dream of having a wine cellar at home one day!

17. I have a morbid fear of needles, injections, blood tests, anything that pokes into me and operations, which explains why I am still so scared of going for a lasik even though I so much want to, as I fear being cut open and dying in the operating theatre.

18. I was a jeans, bermudas and T-shirt girl. I never wore a dress on my own accord (unless my mum forced me to) until the age of eighteen. I now wear mostly dresses, especially body-hugging, frilly and sweet ones that bring out my figure. That said, I still do wear jeans, and have about eight pairs of them!

19. I never wear makeup until I graduated from university. Now, I cannot go out without makeup. I feel naked somehow!

20. I have natural wavy hair (courtesy of my mum) that was frizzy and hard to maintain, making me look as if I had bad hair days everyday until I discovered the wonders of rebonding and easy maintainance of straight hair!

21. I have a lust for travel and to see the world, and help others at the same time. My dream is to set foot in every continent in this lifetime, even Antarctica! Immersing in the nature, history, geography and culture, and mission trips mean more to me than shopping and lounging in a five-star hotel room.

22. I love art and appreciate the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet and Kurt Halsey. Unfortunately, I cannot draw to save my life, although I do have ideas for interior designs now and then.

23. I adore small classic things. Everything I have are small - bags, wallets, mobile phones, watches, MP3, laptop. I own a red iPod Shuffle, a white Fujitsu Lifebook 10-inch laptop and a Philips 3-in-1 alarm clock-radio-CD player that can be held in just one hand! My phone used to be a limited edition gold clamshell Samsung SGH-E500 that is just the size of my palm (and I have relatively small hands, even for a lady!) before I officially retired it early this month and replaced with a black Nokia 6600 Fold, then I got a free pink Sony Ericsson T707 which I am currently using. So is my digicam - a small, pink Olympus mju 500S. Even my car has to be small - the Mini Cooper S cabriolet (in the design of the Union Jack) will be my first car! However, the small intricate stuff applies only to accessories and gadgets, not for men. For men, the "bigger" the better! ;-p

24. I am more a tea person (English breakfast, Earl Grey, Jasmine, Chrysanthemum, Iced Lemon, Green, but not Chinese tea) than a coffee person, but I do hope to taste Blue Mountain and Kopi Luwak one of these days! Unfortunately coffee causes insomnia and does things to my insides, thus I refrain from drinking too much. In any case, I feel our local coffee cannot be compared to coffee overseas!

25. I love children and animals. I hope to have five kids (okay, make that three at least since I am soon to be above the age) and lots of dogs, cats, birds, furry things! My favourite breed is the Maltese, followed by the Westi and Golden Retriever!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...