Lilypie

Friday, July 24, 2009

Cryptography ....

I just finished reading Dan Brown’s “Digital Fortress” for the second time. I remember the first time I read that, I was so engrossed and captivated that I could hardly put the book down and finished it within a couple of hours! Now that I read it again, I am still so captivated and engrossed by the story!

I am never a figures person, so it takes a long time for me to crack any code to do with numbers. If it is anagrams, word search or crossword, I can get that done in a short time, but for Sudoku, I am still unable to get all right. Hence, I will fail miserably at algorithms in cryptography. Still, Cryptography itself is an interesting subject.

Imagine if you want to communicate only to your loved one. Why not try a code within a code, something which only both of you can understand? Or if you want to bring your message across to an ally but do not wish to let it fall in enemies’ hands, you can try to weave a help signal into a code so only your ally can decode it? Imagine if I am to tell a story in code, now how interesting will that be? No one can ever decipher what I say, save for those who are ultra smart or who venture a very lucky guess. I can even write my name in code and no one will know my full name!

Because I enjoy mind games (as in quizzes, logical puzzles, code breaking, not playing of people’s emotions), sometimes I do have my own code game. For instance, I will have my phone number in code. So whichever guy who wishes to know my number have to break the code. I started doing this when I just got to know people, and not sure if they are sincere or dubious. So when they asked me for my number, I would tell them in code. Those who were able to break the code would be those I believe to be more intelligent, thus I gave them a chance. Those who could not or could not be bothered to, I left those behind.

To me, if the guy is really sincere in getting my number, he would crack it just to contact me. Besides I find that refreshing and intriguing if someone does that to me. So far about eighty percent of those I have “quizzed” were able to get it right at the first or second try the most. Maybe my code is too easy to break! In that case, the other twenty percent really need to be spoon fed, so just as well I stopped all contact!

How I wish I can think up a real code that no one except myself will be able to break! Perhaps in the future when I draw up a will to split whatever little assets I have, I will play a game with my beneficiaries. I will use a code in a riddle and they will have to go on a treasure hunt to find the missing will. The first person to find it will be entitled to be the administrator. How fun that will be! ;-p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...