Lilypie

Sunday, July 4, 2010

First Tuition Class

I just finished my first tuition class. The class consists of only four Primary One kids, ie. about six to eight years of age, three boys and one girl. The tuition centre actually had lessons prepared and I just needed to go according to the lesson plan. There is even a reward system - the kids will get a stamp on every good behaviour and work.

Today's lesson was on a word scramble, which I played "Hangman" with the kids with in order to unscramble the words. There were also fill-in-the-blanks, a cloze passage consisting of two choices each and a comprehension.

I must say, for Primary One, the worksheet seems a bit too high standard. Or maybe the kids I used to teach were too low standard. I have had kids who when they went to school, did not even know how to write their names, their ABCs or speak any English, let alone recognise English words! But in the class I just tutored, the kids even know the difference between singular and plural, and past tense and present tense. Impressive!

These are the kids who can recognise words like "scientist" and "enclosures", and know the difference between "fortunately" and "unfortunately" at the young age of six! Really impressive! I think some adults may not even know these words! You can be surprised the kind of people I have met who think my English is too "high-class" for them when I do not even use bombastic language!

Still, it was a really enjoyable class. Maybe it was the first lesson so the kids were relatively well-behaved. Perhaps one month down the road, I would be screaming my head off at them already. But this lesson made me realise I miss bring around children. It is really such a joy being able to impart knowledge and help children this way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...