Lilypie

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blondie - The Comic Strip

Lately I have been exploring comics. Graphic novels, comics, manga, they are all the same. I used to read some Japanese comics (translated into Chinese), as well as American comics. My favourites are still Kindaichi (fantastic sleuthing mind), Archie (and his gang), Foxtrot, Dilbert, Cathy to name a few.

Recently I have been reading Blondie. I have known about this comic strip since young when it appeared in the Sunday papers. Through the years, I never fail to read this comic strip. However, about two years back, the strip stopped running in the Sunday papers. Hence I went to do some research and turns out that the comic is still running, and have been running for about eighty years in fact!

The reason I love Blondie is because it is a family strip. The main character Dagwood (Blondie's husband) is a clumsy bumbling employee, forever getting picked on by his boss with no increment through the years, loves eating and napping, and most importantly, loves his wife and kids dearly. His wife is always first in his life, so he refuses to work overtime or go for drinks with his co-workers just to go home and have dinner with his wife and kids.

With such a plot, who can not love the strip? How I wish I can have a Dagwood Bumstead as my husband too - despite the clumsiness, laziness, quirkiness and idiocy, he is one family man who loves his wife dearly. It will be good if my guy can model himself after Dagwood Bumstead!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...