Lilypie

Monday, November 29, 2010

First Day At Regional Role

Today was my first day at my new job. The Executive Assistant brought me around and introduced me to some of the key people. When I reached the office, the receptionist brought me to the pantry and helped me make cereal as well as showed me what was available.

When I reached my desk, it was all cleared, with my name plate, stationery organized into little compartments, a laptop with another desktop with a big screen and a telephone bearing my name. Very organized! First time I actually went into a company that is so organized!

I am in the Asia Pacific Legal Department, which means I handle the Asian region, Greater China, as well as Australia and New Zealand. This office is the Asia Pacific Regional Headquarters, hence all the big shots (President of Asia, Vice President of Emerging Markets, Asia Pacific Regional Financial Controller) sit at my level near my department.

My immediate superior (the Senior Legal Counsel) sent a mass email to the department, saying to bring me out to lunch. So almost the whole team went to the shopping mall opposite to eat Thai food.

The people here seems interesting. Throughout lunch, the conversation was on a museum exhibition, plays, travel, exhibitions, degustation and holiday plans. Definitely more interesting than the people I had been used to. At least the topics are what I enjoy, instead of the usual lottery, hawker fare, chasing girls / guys and army life.

I was told there would be a Dinner and Dance this Friday and the Deputy General Counsel invited me along. The theme is Black Tie. I heard last year's theme for the Dinner and Dance was a Silk Road theme. How interesting!

Around the end of the day, my immediate superior came to talk to me. He told me of a global law conference next May, held in Florida. The whole legal team would go meet up with the legal team of the American head office. Wow! This is so exciting!

Maybe it is still too early to tell as I have no idea how the people here are like or their working styles, but I do believe I can grow to like this place. At least I hope this will be a better place to work than my previous two places!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...