Lilypie

Monday, July 17, 2006

Charitable Outreach ....

I had been praying for a sign to atone my sins, find peace and get out of my depression. And I think I have found it. Coincidentally, after I came back, I start seeing signs everywhere for outreach and donations to developing countries and charitable organisations.

I cannot say I have been that actively involved in charitable works, and I certainly am not a philanthropist since I do not have the finances to qualify as one. However, I have volunteered my services to various fund-raising events.

For instance, back in university, a few mates and I set up booths at the covered walkway around Bugis Junction, where we sold T-shirts, magnets which we designed ourselves, postcards and stickers for SPCA and the Nature Society of Singapore.

It was the time when these two organsations need the most finances to cater for the growing number of strays and the various conservation and recycling projects going to be undertaken. It was a three-day event, but we had lots of fun, and being a weekend, we attracted quite a big crowd.

In the end, the money we raised was not that much, since we have to split between both organisations, but I felt happy to have contributed something.

And being the Treasurer of the Catholic Students' Apostolate at the same time, we donated whatever excess amount at the end of the year to the Spastic Children's Association. That I felt happier about as Catholics are generous givers, so we had a four-figure sum left over.

RIght now I am trying to be involved in three charitable events. The first one I came across was actually recommended by my friend. She is collecting the tabs off drink cans to exchange for food, medical supplies and money for developing countries, so for the past few days, I have been collecting the tabs, ready to pass to her when I meet her again.

The second one involves cash. It is to help the children of Timor Leste. If I could, I would have flown there to see for myself, but I do not think I am allowed on another trip at such short notice, and especially not to a new developing country.

So the only thing I could do is to draw out a cheque of S$100.00. Cheapskate, I know. I wanted to give more, like S$500,00 or even S$1,000.00, but after my recent heavy expenditure and considering the fact that I am still jobless, S$100.00 is as much as I can afford right now. Besides, I believe my local currency goes a long way there.

The third one I am considering is Hair For Hope for the Children's Cancer Foundation. Normally if it involves fund-raising or donations, I will not have hesitated, except this time round, it involves shaving of the head t0 make a difference. And my self-centred vanity still takes over my pity for the cancer patients.

I am trying to think of the children, hoping I can be motivated enough. And all I could see was a vision of my late cousin, in the advanced stages of leukaemia, undergoing chemotherapy, with her head bald, and crying everyday as she lost her beautiful hair. And in her moments of consciousness, she used to joke with me that on no account must I lose my hair for any reason.

I know it is really bad to say that and I should help in every way I can. After all, if Sonic is brave enough to go hairless, so can I. But after the time, money and hours invested in making my hair look this nice, I do not think I can bear to shave the whole thing off, and if I do that, I will probably be a recluse for the next decade until I grow my hair back to this length again.

So the only alternative is to donate, however much I can. Perhaps I can also squeeze in a hospital visit as well? That is, if I have finally fully recovered enough to be allowed into the terminal ward of the hospital. Maybe if I do go, I can get my bone marrow donated too, that is, if I do get over my traumatic surgery experience and can take calmly all the needles poking into me again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Unknown said...

Another opportunity for charity work is volunteering for a program such as Habitat for Humanity. This is a program works to build homes for the homeless by bringing together a group of volunteer contractors, suppliers and builders.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...