Lilypie

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Trying To Be Active ....

Earthquake again, in Indonesia, followed by a tsunami. Wonder what the extent of the damage will be this time? I really pity the people there, and having known a few Indonesians, I can understand their concerns too, since I am sure they feel the pain much more intense than me.

I was at my cousin's place earlier on when I saw the news. My cousin-in-law then remarked about a possible volcanic eruption in Indonesia, as there have been reports that one of the active volcanoes is spewing. Apparently, if this volcano really erupts, Singapore itself may be in danger.

I went over to my cousin's place to find out how she is doing now that she is almost four months pregnant, and helped to dog-sit at the same time. I shared with her my photos from my recent trip, as well as the trip we went together in Australia last year.

She showed me her photos from Nepal, where she and her husband went for a second honeymoon early last year. The Himalayas are really beautiful at close range! I am sure it is so much better for real as compared to in the photos! Perhaps Nepal will be the next place I go to, after it is finally politically stable again.

My job search is progressing at a slow rate. I have sent in resumes, but so far no news, except for the interview I am going to on Wednesday, by one of the listed companies, incidentally owned by one of the female Nominated Members of Parliament. The company is in the hotel and resort business, with resorts in Bali, Bintan and Maldives. Perhaps if I do land the job, I can finally get to go relaxing in Maldives!

Actually there are three positions I really wish to land. One is that of an Education Consultant, another is Supervisor for the Children's Aid Society, and the third is an Educational Guidance Officer of the Asian Women's Welfare Association.

I still enjoy it most working with and around kids. It is still more meaningful to make a difference in the lives of the younger generation, than to work in a company and generate more profits for an already-wealthy organisation. But my parents just do not see it this way.

When I first left mainstream teaching, I actually landed a job as a music supervisor in a Catholic kindergarten. The job suits me to a tee, even the Principal of the kindergarten said so, as it has a Catholic background, most of the kids are from Catholic families, and the job is to oversee music pedagogy and developing kids' minds and movements using music. Ad-hoc jobs require playing the piano for mass and religious sessions.

The job is made for me, so to speak. I will have really loved it there. The only catch is the salary. My salary was cut down by half. Childcare teachers do not earn a lot. So my parents made me turn it down, and told me to be practical, get a job elsewhere that could pay me the same or not much difference, and with prospects for growth.

I am not saying they are wrong, but for me, I always prefer a job which I really love doing. To me, money is not everything. I can work for free as long as I like my job. If I hate my job, even if I am paid a six-figure sum per month, I will still not like it.

My cousin told my to cut my hair. So I told her maybe I will get a shave for charity. And she was totally horrified. On the other hand, her husband said to go ahead. She said it does not matter to a guy, but what will a woman look like if she goes bald? She told me perhaps a new hairstyle is the only way to get out of the depression and move on with my life. Meanwhile, get a new hair colour too.

She has a point there. I cut my hair really short the very first time I broke up. And I felt like a new person after that. My hair is due for a trim anyway. I just have to decide which colour I want to use this time. Maybe I will take pink! I can just foresee my parents' faces if I come home with pink hair!

So tomorrow will be the day I change my hair colour. And to snip off my locks at the same time. The rest of the week will see me going down to SPCA to volunteer my services. Plus, I will be helping the contractors repaint the house. My parents decided to use white on the outside, and whisper green (of all colours!) on the inside.

My mum says whisper green is very pale green, almost like white. In that case, why not use white? Now I am at the stage where my parents try to accommodate me in as many ways possible (they actually told my brother to let me watch the television last night even though he was in the middle of a show, something that never happened before!), wonder if they will allow me to paint my room baby pink or peach?

Being active is a good idea. It keeps my mind occupied, and I can start focusing on other things. Wonder if there will be a donation drive for the poor victims of the latest earthquake? If I could, I would want to go right to the site and do what I can. But right now, the only way I can help is through monetary and material contributions.

6 comments:

Goy said...

I'm glad you have taken a change in your life. It seems like you are now living with a purpose which I'm glad. As compared to your previous job, you were still feeling aimless in your role. I think as time goes by, we will start to iron out our priorities and decide what's best for our lives and for our loved ones.

imp said...

arrgh. if the contractors are there, let them paint the house!! i don't think u need to physically paint too right??

good luck with the job search!

angie bern said...

hope everything's going well... hmmm... a haircut... yea, that's what i got, not long after the incident of duh-man... and i am glad i did... but it sure took some getting used to...

so, what colour did you pick? ;p

Ole' Wolvie said...

Painting can be very theraupetic.

I do actually prefer lightly tinted walls as compared to stark white.

KaiRiNu said...

Hey...great to see that everything's going well for u...=)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...