Lilypie

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Studying Overseas ....

My dad suddenly talked to me about an overseas education yesterday. He said after everything that happened to me, perhaps my mum would finally allow me to go overseas to study. Plus, I can determine whether my guy is really true to me as if he is willing to wait until I finish my studies and still love me, then he is really devoted.

I used to think that if both parties really love each other, distance does not matter. But actually it does. How many long distance relationships really survive the test? Even when both parties are in the same country and meet each other often, the relationship can still crumble, let alone if you do not see each other for months on end.

I used to think maybe age plays a part. If both parties are still young and they get separated for months on end, perhaps the relationship may crumble as it is really hard to maintain. There will be plenty of opportunities to meet other people around you, so if both are in different countries, the temptation is always there to find someone better, someone who can be a companion.

But after hearing what happened to my friend K, who is older than me, then perhaps age does not play a part anymore. Maybe it all depends on the individual, whether one wants to sustain the relationship. Often than not, one party will want to sustain, the other does not, and that is why relationships end.

But back to the overseas education. It had been my dream ever since I was young. I could have gone to various universities overseas, but out of folly, I spoilt my own chances. My mum used to tell me that unless I get a scholarship that can bring me overseas, otherwise I stay. She is not going to sponsor my studies abroad.

I was supposed to go after I was done with law studies. I wanted to major in Mass Communications or Humanities. I applied and actually got into University of Sydney (where my cousin was still studying in then), University of California Los Angeles, University of Birmingham and University of Leicester.

But in the end, I stayed here. Firstly, my parents did not want to pay for an overseas education. In their opinions, our local universities are good enough, which is true. Secondly, my ex refused to let me go. He said if I loved him enough, I would not bear to be separated from him.

The next time I almost went overseas was when after the first year of teaching, I applied for a post-graduate course. I wanted to do a Masters in Education, or English, and to do it full-time, either I go back to NTU or I get a MOE sponsorship overseas.

My third ex and I quarrelled over this. He refused to let me go (same as the previous guy), even though I would be gone for a year and a half the most. But in the end, I did not manage to go anyway because I was not selected for the Masters programme. :-(

But now, perhaps due to age, somehow I do not have the inclination to go overseas anymore. My dad may say my mum will finally let me go, but if I am to go, then I want to pay on my own. My parents are near retirement age, if they pay for me, then goodness knows how long more they need to work, plus my youngest brother's university education as well.

Having said that, I still think an overseas education will be very beneficial to anyone. If I was a few years younger, I would jump at the chance. Studies wise, I can do it anywhere.

1 comments:

ieltsPreparation said...

I read your story you can contact Overseas Education Consultants for guidance regarding scholarships and best Colleges/Universities

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...