Lilypie

Monday, July 3, 2006

If I Was A Musician ....

I was in a melancholic mood yesterday. Probably due to the fact that my late music teacher had passed away for half a year already. And coincidentally, I have not touched my piano for half a year too, or perhaps more, ever since I came back from Tasmania last year.

When I first heard about her condition, I wanted to compose a song for her. But somehow never got the inspiration. I tried banging on a few keys, tried different tunes, but in the end to no avail. No song could ever express fully the gratitude and respect I felt for her.

It was because of her that I managed to complete my music education, at least up to the highest student level. However, even she was not able to convince my parents to let me major in music full-time, as my parents wanted me to be a professional. For that, I had to give up two music scholarships.

If I had majored in music full-time, I would have become a concert pianist, or an electone music lecturer at the Yamaha Music Academy. I would have taken on minor studies, like voice, violin and flute. Then I would be proficient in more instruments.

I did not dare to ever dream of being part of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra, since there is only one (or the most a couple) resident pianists there. And anyway I do not think I can ever be up to that standard, even if I became a music major.

But I would have liked performing at charity events, at functions, at the Singapore Piano Festival which I have to give a miss for this year. And of course, I would have liked performing for schools and kids.

I remember the inspiration by my late teacher, and I decided to continue playing the piano, polish up and refresh the techniques. Hopefully I can play a full Mozart or Beethoven Symphony soon.

So I called in the piano tuner to come in today. Which was a big mistake, as besides the drilling in my house, I had to put up with the sounds of the out of tune piano as well. And the tuner told me this is the last time my piano can be tuned. And I am out of another S$100 for the tuning itself. :-(

Which means my piano is at the end of its tether, after twenty-four years. It can last me for another half a year the most. My electone is also out of order for about two years already.

So, who is going to sponsor me a Steinway and Sons Grand Piano? Or a Yamaha Electone Stagea ELS-01C? For that, I mean the Concert Grand, not the Baby Grand. :-p

3 comments:

Alan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Alan said...

I think one knows there own strengths, there is no point in wasting time if can't get where you are going, it'll only hold you back, plus there's the finacial side to consider. It sounds like you love music. How come you didn't learn how to tune it yourself? it'll save you lots of money.

hmm come to think about it.. why did you pick an instrument that cost so much, why not choose something smaller like a violin, where you can carry it anywhere with you and play in the streets.

shakespeareheroine said...

Actually it was my parents who enrolled me in piano and electone lessons when I was young. Then I wanted violin lessons in school, but with piano, electone and ballet classes, plus choir in school, my parents felt I had too many music activities so refused the violin lessons.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...