Lilypie

Sunday, July 2, 2006

Courtesy (Does Not Seem) Our Way Of Life

At times I ask myself, do I have to throw my temper before people realise they cannot step on my toes anytime they like? Do I have to tell people off before they realise that I, too, have feelings, and I am not made of wood or stone that I do not feel anything whatsoever no matter how others treat me?

This was supposed to be a happy day. I could finally go out for the day. I met a friend for brunch, then we went for a movie marathon. Three movies in a day. Wow! The last time I watched three movies a day was at the old Capitol Theatre, just before it closed, which was almost a decade ago.

We watched Just My Luck, Scary Movie 4 and Superman Returns. Gosh, the Man of Steel is still so sexy, even right down to his red underwear! His new costume comes with a different coloured cape, not as bright red as the previous one, but of a duller crimson colour. But I still prefer the other superhero in the sexy batsuit!

But the hiccups of the day were I met several rude people who really irritated me. After a recent courtesy survey where our country is ranked 30 out of 35, should people not realise that they need to improve on their mannerisms? It is such an embarassment to be ranked so low in terms of courtesy! What sort of impression will we give foreigners?

The day started off with my brother using the bathroom. Since my parents' bathroom is still out of function, I still have to share my bathroom with my whole family. So I knocked on the door and told him to kindly not to hog the bathroom since I was running late.

And he just told me that if I pester him again, he would stay in there the whole day and never come out. I really blew my top. I have had enough of his rudeness and disrespect! My mum always told me to put up with him as he is young and I should be more sensible not to go down to his level.

But he is already eighteen, and in my opinion, old enough to know how to treat people with respect. The more I put up with him, the more rude he became. So I kicked the bathroom door and made him open.

Then I went in and proceeded to brush my teeth. He then went out and slammed the door, and called me a b****. So I screamed at him. I told him that I did not need to put up with his f***ing attitude, and just who does he think he is to push anyone around as he pleases?

Even if he thinks he is the smartest in the whole family and no one else can hold a candle to him, does not give him the right to show any disrespect to anyone. I really cannot stand it anymore. He insulted me in public in front of my relatives, I was expected to just swallow everything, even though I so much wanted to just shut him up, but I gave him face as it was in public.

He scolded me two days back too. He wanted me to submit a General Paper essay to his teacher for some publication. When I looked through his essay, I saw he had some good ideas but some of his grammar was wrong. He only scored a B3, but his paper was quite good overall.

Anyway, I typed out the essay for him, edited some parts, helped correct his mistakes, and submitted to his tutor. When I told him I did all these, he screamed at me. He said he only asked me to type, not to mess up his paper.

Hello?! I helped make his paper better and this was the thanks I got? I told him I know what I was doing, if I changed for him it was to make it better. I was a teacher too, why would I make his paper worse?

He said I was only a primary school teacher. Still, who is he to talk so much? Unless he beat my A1, otherwise keep his mouth shut! I was boiling mad after that, but I did not lose my temper at him until today. I really felt I ought to keep him in his place since my parents let him get away with it.

The second rude person I encountered was when I was in the restroom queue. As usual, some ladies really know how to take their times in the cubicles. This grandmother came in with two grandchildren and a maid.

I was the next in line, so when one cubicle was free, I was supposed to go in. But the grandmother told the maid to take one of the kids in, and cut the queue just like that. I was already getting irritated.

So when the next cubicle was free and the grandmother wanted to take her other grandchild in, I quickly stepped in and told her that I was next in the queue, and since she came in late, she had to wait her turn, otherwise it would be unfair to those queuing.

I could hear her muttering some rude words, but if she is going to be so inconsiderate, I can jolly well be inconsiderate back to her. She and her grandchildren are not the only ones who needed to use the restroom! There were those who have been waiting for some time already!

The next rude person I encountered was when I was buying drinks for my darling and myself. I just made my order when this lady suddenly appeared behind me and told the cashier she wanted Chrysanthemum tea.

I turned around and looked at the lady in question. The cashier looked from me to her, and then I said I was first, so by right, she should serve me first since she had already taken my order. Those behind me just had to wait their turns.

The cashier served me first, and the lady then glared at me, muttering something about how young people nowadays have no respect for those older. Well, if they expect respect, then show respect in the first place! I do not see why I need to show respect to those who have no qualms cutting queue and interrupting others in the middle of their orders!

If these people behave like this in their own country, I dread to think how they behave when they are overseas. No wonder we rank so low in terms of courtesy, and it is definitely not something to be proud of.

What is the use of having the number one airport, port, etc? These are just buildings, structures. These inanimate objects are no use if the people who build them do not build up their own characters as well.

Being the first in architectural structures is not something to show off if the people are ranked so low in terms of courtesy, customer service and graciousness. And that is something everyone has to build on.

1 comments:

shakespeareheroine said...

YES!!!! Brazil and England lost! Now the little rascal owes me two meals! Next, banking on Portugal and France. See if my guess can be correct this time round too.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...