Lilypie

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Another Sad Love Song ....

Jimmy please say you'll wait for me
I'll grow up some day you'll see.
Saving all my kisses just for you
Signed with love forever true.

Joni was the girl who lived next door
I've known her I guess ten years or more
Joni wrote me a note one day
and this is what she had to say.

Jimmy please say you'll wait for me
I'll grow up some day you'll see.
Saving all my kisses just for you
Signed with love forever true.

Slowly I read her note once more
Then I went over to the house next door
Her tear drops fell like rain that day
when I told Joni what I had to say.

Joni, Joni please don't cry
you'll forget me by and by
You're just fifteen and I'm twenty-two
And Joni, I just can't wait for you.

Soon I left our little hometown
Got me a job and tried to settle down
But these words kept haunting my memory
the words that Joni said to me.

Jimmy please say you'll wait for me
I'll grow up some day you'll see
Saving all my kisses just for you
signed with love forever true.

I packed my clothes and I caught a plane
I had to see Joni, I had to explain.
How my heart was filled with her memory.
And ask my Joni if she'd marry me.

I ran all the way to the house next door.
But things weren't like they were before.
My tear drops fell like rain that day,
when I heard what Joni has to say.

Jimmy, Jimmy please don't cry
you'll forget me by and by.
It's been five years since you've been gone,
Jimmy I married your best friend John.

~ Joni Don't Cry (Conway Twitty)

I always get all teary over love songs, especially those with sad endings. I was discussing this song (incidentally the same one playing right now) with a group of people once, and they have differing opinions. One of them said that the guy (Jimmy) deserved it since he rejected her in the first place, so did he expect her to sit around and wait for him until he made up his mind to go back to her?

I guess the general public will echo the same sentiment. The guy rejected the girl, she has every right to move on with her life, so it was just too bad that she ended up marrying his best friend. Did he think she would wait for him for five years?

Of course to me it is sad. He finally realises that he loves her, and took the first plane (I think) out to meet her and to propose to her. He took it upon her word that she would really love him forever and remain faithful. And to find out she had moved on with his best friend no less, it was probably a big blow and betrayal to him.

But is it being unfaithful if he rejected her and the relationship never started in the first place? Does a guy expect a girl who expresses her love for him to wait for him even after he rejected her and not move on? Is the girl expected to hold on if she thought he made it clear it was impossible between them?

This is just a song, and the songwriter can write it any way he liked. But in real life things are not that easy. In real life, it is hard to remain faithful. Of course, if you are lucky to find the right one to settle down with, then you must remain faithful and keep the love going.

But what if one party wants to remain faithful and the other party gives up? Love dies only if one party gives up totally. He / she can have seen something about the other person which does not give the confidence that a long-term relationship will work out.

Often have I come across people in relationships, and they love themselves more than the other person. There is nothing wrong being self-focused, but in a relationship, it is no longer just on you alone. It encompasses another person. A real love relationship can only last if both parties love the other more than they love themselves, if both parties put in 200%.

Which is why if one person cannot love the other to the fullest, it is more fair to the one giving more to move on, because a relationship cannot survive long-term if only one party puts in the effort. I know that too well. One can say all about having love will conquer all things, but love alone does not survive if there is no accommodation, tolerance and communication.

Afterall, will one be with someone who physically and mentally abuses him / her just because he / she loves the person so much? Or someone so undecisive that he / she cannot even make up the mind where he / she wants the relationship to go, where if there is a future for them?

Love itself is not on getting things back; rather it is on what you give than what you take. But if one party only gives and the other only takes, then it is lopsided, is it not? Would it be better for the taker to let the giver go so he / she can focus on giving to someone else more deserving?

Anyway back to the context of the song. If I am Joni, I would grieve but I too would move on. It is not being unfaithful; rather it is not holding on to something that may never happen. And since Jimmy never gave her any indication that he will one day go looking for her, Joni has every right to go with any other guy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...