Lilypie

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Of Annual Leave ....

Some days ago, there was an article in the newspaper about professionals not utilising their annual leave. Some employees feel that there is just too much work to do that they simply cannot get away. Thus they keep accumulating their leave until it becomes rather hefty.

Actually how is the annual leave policy like anyway? As far as I know, it is under the labour law to give at least seven days leave to employees. But most employees are entitled to fourteen days at least. Some companies allow leave to be accumulated, other companies require employees to utilise all their leave in that year, or else all will be forfeited, and some companies allow the leave to be carried forward up to one year.

It is a good idea for employers to require the employees to use up all the leave, and not carry forward any except on special reasons. In this way at least, employees will then be "forced" to take a break once in a while and recharge. But must it be to such a state, that companies have to compel their staff to go on a break?

Besides, when someone is on leave, it means a total break. Which means he / she wants to get away and have nothing to do with any work matters. So when a person is on leave, the company should not call him / her back or require him / her to work. Personally, if I am to be on leave, I will not entertain any calls or emails. Afterall, if I am to go on a break, how can I go on a peaceful mind if I am still bogged down by work matters?

Maybe I am lazy, but somehow I look forward to when I can take leave. I do not mean I slack at any opportunity, but I do welcome a break once in a while. Then I will do what my parents do - take a few days off at a time and go for a holiday overseas. I do bring my phone along, but only to message my friends back home. I do not entertain any calls when I am overseas.

Thus I find it strange that people are reluctant to take leave. Do they not need a break? What is the use of accumulating through the years? Some people I know have accumulated so much that they have more than a hundred days to clear at one shot. Then what? Take half a year off at once? Hmmm... sounds like a good idea actually, just a pity my company only allows leave accumulation up to a year.

Some companies allow staff to encash their annual leave, ie exchange their leave for cash. I feel it is not a good practice, as it will inculcate in the employees that leave can be exchanged for cash, thus they do not need a break. But of course, like almost any situation, there is always pros and cons.

My mum herself has accumulated lots of leave throughout the year. She used to have eighteen days leave a year, but every year, she would only take the most a week off to bring us for a holiday, and encash part of her leave. When the new century came along, her company changed the policy.

Leave cannot be encashed anymore, and all annual leave has to be utilised within a year or else it will be forfeited. Her annual leave had increased to twenty-eight days ever since the mid-1990s. Due to all the accumulation, she has been clearing her leave vigorously for the past three years, which explains why she can go for a vacation three times a year.

In fact, in 2003, she had six weeks of leave to clear, not including the twenty-eight days she had for that year! In 2004, she utilised her leave for 2003, and last year, she utilised her leave for 2004. Thus, this year, she has fifty-six days to clear, her leave from last year and this year. Wow.... that is quite something! How I wish I can have this many days off!

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Having off days that practically cannot be redeemed (due to various reasons) is a double slap to the employee's face.

juphelia said...

Yup, I agree. Although many companies are now giving more redeemable off-days, so hopefully things will get better.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...