Lilypie

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Of Inheritance ....

Someone asked me am I mad that my parents sold away the apartment which would have been mine? Of course not! Why would I be mad? It is their house, so they are entitled to do what they want with it. Besides, if I want a place to stay in, I much rather choose and buy my own.

But there have been cases where people kill for inheritance. Siblings backstab each other or manipulate the parents just to have the whole or a bigger share of the inheritance, especially if the parents are millionaires and above. There have even been kids telling their parents what assets they like!

Must things go to such an extent, especially amongst one's family members? I believe if parents are to make a will and distribute money, they will have their own reasons why they distribute it a certain way. For instance, if my parents are to ever leave their assets to us, I believe my first brother will get the biggest share because of his condition.

My mum told me as parents, they tend to look out more for the weaker children, because the stronger ones can take care of themselves. And it is right even if they want to leave everything to him, because afterall, it is their money to do as they please. If I want riches, I can always earn my own.

But why do some kids take it for granted that it is a must that parents have to leave their money to the kids? Why must people live on their parents' money anyway? Do they not have the ability to earn their own? Or do they take it as a given that parents will leave everything to them?

Someone once said if the children are good, they will not need the parents' money, because they can earn a better living than the parents. Similarly, if the kids are not good, then no amount of money can ever be enough, because the kids will take for granted and squander all away. How true!

One of our pioneers was so rich, but he did not leave a single cent to his children. He gave all to charity and education. Luckily his own descendants are capable, so the family is still rich and established. They strived for their own living, instead of depending on him. I find this attitude so much more becoming. To me, I feel it is better to make it on one's own, instead of depending on anyone else.

So to answer questions posed to me by some people : No, I am not living off my parents. I have never asked a single cent from them ever since I started earning. Whatever my parents have now, they toiled for them. Thus, I will never ask them to give me the fruit of their labour. If I want, I will try to achieve it by my own efforts.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ignorant blogger,

i happen to come across your blog and saw ur entry. just to make a comment to your blog, i believe you should know that the fact that you are still staying under the roof of your parent's hse, you are effectively still living off them even though you do not require allowance from them for your daily expenses.

I am 99.9% sure that you are not paying rent to your parents nor are you splitting the household bills according as well. (maybe i am wrong, but like i said. i m 99.9% sure that you are not doing it even if you might have though of doing it years ago)

So, until the day you can rent/purchase your very own property under your name and be completely independent on your daily needs can you truly say that you are not living off your parents.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...