Lilypie

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Work From Home?

My company allows us the option of receiving emails and notices from our mobile phones when we are out of the office. Since it is free and my mobile phone has the required feature, I activated it. Which was a big mistake, because from then on, I have been receiving emails twenty-four hours of the day!

With technology being so advanced and electronic products being so inexpensive nowadays, more and more people are choosing to work from home. I am not referring to those who run a home-based business or freelancing, but those who work after office hours and during weekends from their homes.

These people have access to office mails and are always on-call. They check and reply emails and calls while out of the office. Needless to say, these are the people who may have company-sponsored or subsidised mobile phones or laptops. And more and more companies nowadays are sponsoring or giving subsidies to employees' mobile phones, blackberries and laptops, so the employees can then work anywhere they like.

My mum's company ever wanted to sponsor her a mobile phone and laptop, so she could be reached wherever and whenever. But she vehemently refused. She says that if she agrees, then there will be no more peace, as she will be on-call twenty-four hours of the day. When she is out of the office or on vacation, she wants to switch off and not think about work.

Very true! Now I am facing the same problem, having to check and reply to mails anytime of the day. The higher-ranking staff in my company also have company-sponsored laptops, and some of them do bring the laptops home after work. Come to think of it, shall I then consider myself fortunate that I am not high-ranking enough to have the priviledge of a company laptop?

2 comments:

Richard said...

Can't you just disable access to e-mails or ignore tehm until you are actually at work?

I keep my work and home life seperated. Granted, I don't have much life outside work, but I still try hard to keep them apart.

If you ask me, I think work causes us to miss the nice things in life.

juphelia said...

Apparently it's hard to disable once the system is up and going. But anyway I seldom reply official mails after work unless it is really urgent.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...