Lilypie

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Photography ....

My mum finally had the photos from their recent trip developed. They do not like intensive photo-taking, unlike me, so for a ten-day or so trip, they took only about a hundred photos, which is little, considering the three hundred plus photos I took during our eight-day Australian trip in December 2005 (where we went to Melbourne and Tasmania), and the five hundred plus photos I took during the seven-day Hokkaido trip last July.

As I was glancing through their photos, I saw the places I always wanted to go, and they were really beyond my dreams! If the places look so nice in a photo, it will be even better in real life! How I wish I can go there one day, snap all the nice pictures and compile them in my album!

That is why I like to take photos, because it is true that pictures speak a thousand words. When I was young, we always had big gatherings with my relatives, especially when any of our out-of-town relatives were here to visit. We would then bring them to Sentosa, or the Zoo, or the Bird Park, or the now defunct Haw Par Villa, or just general wandering around. My dad would then take pictures, and sometimes we would make funny faces.

My interest in photography developed only when I was around eleven or twelve. That year, my elder cousin got a camera for her birthday, and she could start taking pictures of everyone. So I too badgered my parents for a camera. They refused of course, but each time when we took photos, I would always ask to be the photographer.

When we went on vacation, our parents used the old film camera, and always took along a limited supply of film, so we had to limit our photo-taking in case the film ran out. This was a letdown, because there are just so many beautiful sceneries to take in the various different countries.

The first film camera I got was an Olympus. It was supposed to be a gift for my second ex when he finished his training at the airline, but we shared the camera. He took it overseas with him and snapped nice pictures for me, and I took it when I went overseas and snapped nice pictures too.

Because we had a camera, we took pictures everywhere we went. Our trip to the zoo, to Sentosa, our friends' places, even when he went with me to clean up my university hostel, we took pictures in the grounds and the room, our Bintan trip, even in the train when the new (at that time) black trains first started being in use.

Then I saw the limitations of a film camera in this digital age. Without a scanner, I was not able to email photos to my friends. Even with a scanner, I had to go through the hassle of developing the photos, scanning, resizing, and converting before the photo(s) could be sent out through email.

So I bought a digital camera. A digital camera lets me take as many photos as I want. There is a limit of course, as I only have a 256 MB card, but that is enough to let me take 940 photos with a good resolution. I do not think I will ever use up all 940 photos.

And that was when I really started to take photographs intensively. I did not bring the camera everywhere I went, but at least in various events like performances, parties, functions, travelling and outings, I could take to my heart's content. My camera would snap away, candid shots, pose shots, sceneries, memories.

Photo-taking is really very fun. I do envy those professional photographers of National Geographic Magazine. The photos are so amazing and life-like! But they are trained and I am not, so it is enough that my parents say the photos I took are very good. And for that I feel proud and honoured.

2 comments:

Suzan Baker said...

Why do the places you wanna go are always so difficult or expensive. I would love it.
meet and greet Manchester
Manchester airport parking deals

Patricia Carter said...

Visiting a zoo is a very childish idea. SO lets wait for those pictures.
Tickets on Sale
Buy Online Tickets

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...