Lilypie

Friday, July 20, 2007

Acclimatizing To Climatic Changes

Now that I am back, I feel so hot and stuffy! It was thirty-five degree celsius in Malta, yet with the sea breeze, the weather was bearable at least. I was still able to walk along the beach, and to walk to the department store and back. I wore comfortable clothes, normal T-shirts and track pants or jeans.

Imagine I can actually walk the whole stretch of the beach from one end to the other end, and still feel comfortable, unlike back home where I get hot and sticky even walking for ten minutes from my office to the eating places and back! Even though Malta is hotter, the climate is drier, despite being right in the middle of the sea, unlike the high humidity of the tropics.

In the United Kingdom, it was less than twenty degrees most of the time. Plus, it kept raining. Within two hours, it could rain and stop, rain and stop, and so on, about ten times! The British said it is the worst summer they ever had. I was feeling so cold that I had to wear long-sleeves, or turtlenecks, or even two layers!

For someone born and bred in the tropics, it seems that my body is not used to any climate less than twenty-five degrees or more than thirty degrees. Anything below I will find it cold, when it could be normal for others. I saw British girls walking around sleeveless even! Anything more I will find it extremely hot, and my tongue will start sticking out like a dog.

Now that I am back, I have to attune myself to the hot and humid weather once again, after being blown around and rained on in Britain. How I wish we can have four seasons too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...