Lilypie

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Smoking Ban

First July and there could be no more smoking in clubs and public places, except in designated smoking rooms. This is the best news I have ever heard! Apparently, it is not just where I live, but almost world wide. In Malta, there is also no smoking in public areas. Even in the United Kingdom, all the places we stayed in have the "No Smoking" sign, and smoking was only allowed in designated areas.

Some people will say that this is a welcome break for non-smokers. We do not need to breathe in any unhealthy second-hand smoke anymore. That is good news! Others will say the smokers will only smoke somewhere else, they will not be deterred from smoking; if anything, they will only smoke more as they want to get enough of the nicotine before going to someplace where it was banned.

I will not say that I hate smokers. It is one's choice how they want to play with their own health. But I hate selfish smokers who go around blowing smoke all over another person. You already stink, you want someone else to smell as bad as you? And it does not matter if you contract lung cancer, but you wish for someone to suffer the same fate?

I do have relatives who smoke (the older generation, none of those of my generation smoke), but they care enough to do it out of sight of everyone else. I know habits formed through years are hard to break, but the least one can do is to be considerate and not affect others from your own habit.

Of course I welcome the ban. In fact, I was wishing for something like this for a long time. The only other thing I wish to see is to ban all cigarettes or nicotine products altogether. Maybe that will curb? Or that will only let others sneak cigarettes in illegally, like bubblegum. But whatever it is, I commend the various governments of doing a good job in trying to curb the smoking and health hazard problems faced by the countries.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...