Lilypie

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Making "Nasi Lemak"

"Nasi Lemak" - rice made of coconut milk, garnished with anchovies (ikan bilis), roasted nuts, fried chicken wing (or fish), beancurd and sambal (chilli sauce). It is a traditional Malay or Peranakan dish, normally served during breakfast. It is also one of the most popular local dishes.

I went for a workshop this morning, on how to make "nasi lemak". First impression when I stepped into the class was that there was an overwhelming lot of ingredients. We went through the step by step instructions on how to prepare the various ingredients, like the chilli (now I know why some chilli is hotter than others), the anchovies (why some are more fragrant and crunchy) and the chicken wings (how to make the chicken crispier? It is all in the flour!).

It was a very fun-filled session. Everyone chipped in and the instructor was very detailed in her explanations. Before the session was over, I was so worried about getting belachan all over myself as the smell was really strong when the chilli was being cooked. I feared that people would complain of me being smelly!

Come to think of it, the cost of S$2.00 per dish by the hawkers is considered pretty inexpensive already, considering the amount of work and preparation involved, not to mention the cost of all the ingredients. Wonder if the hawkers ever recoup their losses even if they sell two hundred dishes a day? I will never complain that hawker food is expensive again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...