Lilypie

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Do Unto Thee What Thou Feel Most Comfy

I went to Le Bistrot for dinner last night with a new friend. Another French restaurant, but I think Au Petit Salut is still better! The thing is, the guy I went out with does not eat French cuisine, does not drink French onion soup (in fact he hates onions) and does not eat crème brulee, but he ordered all that just because I recommended that. Hmmm….

I must say, I give him points for trying to impress, but the thing is, what will really impress me is someone who can make me impressed without even trying to impress, if it makes any sense at all. In other words, someone who is just himself without putting up a front. For instance, if he prefers not to do or eat anything, I rather he just tell me than to just do it because I do it. At the end of the day, if it is not what he likes or prefers, he will be the one to get frustrated. Which is why I did not feel comfortable in the end as he was trying so hard to impress me that somehow his plan backfired.

He is a nice guy, but in the end just another ordinary guy. Maybe I am biased in light of something that happened very recently, but still, I prefer someone to be real. Afterall, one can sense a real person, whether a person is really what he says. For instance, if he is not used to going to somewhere classy, then it is best he does what he feels most comfortable with.

Which is why there are certain things I will never do. People may say I am too high and mighty or too high class or too high maintenance or what not, but I always feel it is best to do what you feel most comfortable about, rather than “upgrading” or “degrading” yourself. I compromised too much at some point, which was why I became so miserable.

This is something I have learnt through the years. A friendship can only develop if both are genuine and themselves to each other, and not always trying to put up a front. There was a time I thought by being happy when I was not would make the other person happy but in the end it caused more frustration and things escalated until I became a worse version of myself.

Same goes for the other person. Also, I have learnt to meet people with an open mind, without expecting anything. If someone meets someone else with the idea of developing a relationship in the future, then it becomes very unhealthy. Meet people without any expectations, and who knows, things may be even better than any expectations! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...