Lilypie

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Getting Used To Higher Authority

Last Friday, the Personal Assistant of the Managing Director called me into his room, saying he would like to see me. I panicked and almost got a heart attack. After all, those bigwigs will never bother with a small fry like me, unless it is something serious. From my experiences, whenever the higher authority asked to see me, it normally bodes bad news for me.

Nevertheless, I went into his room and he talked about the cases I am handling, as well as to borrow some documentation which I have stored. Within five minutes, I was out of his room. What a relief! I thought with all the back-biting going on, I became the sacrificial lamb (again!). Thank goodness it was only that!

When I told this to my friend, he said he does not see why people have to be scared when the higher-ups asked to see them, even if they do not deal with them directly. At times those higher-ups just want a chat, nothing wrong. It does not mean something bad has happened if they requested to see someone.

Well.. true in a way. But I never know how to handle things like this. No doubt those bigwigs are humans too, they are just like us, but the difference is they are much more capable which is why they are up there and I am down here. And before joining this company, no Managing Director and above has ever bothered about my existence, let alone asking to talk to me.

The thing is, I can get along with bosses, or my direct superiors. There have been a couple whom I cannot stand, but other than that, I do not give them any trouble (I think). I am still grateful to my latest boss for helping me out in the midst of all the politicking around. But perhaps because they are only one rank above me, and we go out for lunch at times, and I can talk to them, I feel somewhat at ease. I do not treat them as bosses (even though I give them the due respect), just like they do not treat me like a subordinate, but more of a friend.

But with anyone higher up, it just seems different. Somehow there seems to be a barrier of sorts, like if I get too chummy, I may be crossing the line, but if I get too nervous, they may get amused too as to why would I think they are so scary? Maybe it is the Asian mentality, that we were asked to show the proper respect and authority due to the elders. Thus ranks have been inculcated in us since young, ranks like parents and children where parents are parents so whatever the parents said the children had to listen with no questions asked, be they right or wrong.

Ranks between teachers and students, where students have to show the proper respect due to the teachers, so whatever the teacher said goes too, no matter whether the students like it or not. Although in general, many kids nowadays do need some form of severe discipline in order to make the teachers’ jobs easier.

Then when we entered tertiary, there are also ranks amongst lecturers and students. Although I have been fortunate that my lecturers are mostly nice and treat us really like adults on the same par, there have also been some who demand respect without showing us any respect, simply because they are our lecturers.

Then when we started working, we have to show the proper respect and authority to the bosses, especially our immediate bosses, even more so for our bosses’ bosses. Thus, from a subordinate’s point of view, it is a mighty nervous thing to get called into the boss’s boss room, as we have no idea how to behave at all!

But I guess from a boss’ point of view, there should be nothing to be scared of. If and ever I become a boss myself, I will like to be someone approachable too. I will want my team to look for me when there is a problem, instead of talking amongst themselves. I will like to be a good boss that cares for the team, that allows them their space and freedom and not keep bugging them. In short, I will want to be the kind of boss which I like my own boss to be like, and treat my team the way I like my own boss to treat me.

If someone is scared of me, for whatever reason, then perhaps I will have to examine if I am too unapproachable or am I too fierce? Not saying that my Managing Director is like that, in fact he is someone pretty approachable and jolly, but it is just that I cannot get over my own barrier. But I must say, it feels good to be recognized by the Managing Director, that at least I know I have not been working here for quite some time for nothing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...