Lilypie

Monday, November 10, 2008

Mamma Mia!

It was a ten hour flight from Christchurch, so I had a movie marathon on the plane. I watched four movies in all – “Mamma Mia!”, “Batman Begins” (again), “The Dark Knight” (again - I simply cannot get enough of Christian Bale as Batman!), and “The X-Files : I Want To Believe”. I must say, our local carrier does not have the world class reputation for nothing – the movie list is pretty updated, even in Economy class, unlike other airlines I have taken.

A pity there was not much time left after watching “The X-Files”, otherwise I would have watched “Hairspray” as well! On the flight to Auckland, I watched “Hancock”, “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” (again!) and “Sex And The City” (still love that show!). Other than that, I was indulging in “Lord of the Rings” again and imagining all the sights I could see!

In any case, I prefer the musical version of “Mamma Mia!” as compared to the movie version. The artistes did a pretty good job and all were good for their respective roles, as well as their voices, but somehow the movie version does not have the “feel good” flair of the musical. I enjoyed the musical much more than the movie.

That is not to say all movie musicals are bad though. I find “Chicago” perfect! I have not seen the stage version, but the movie version exceeded my expectations! “The Producers” are good too. And of course, both the stage and screen versions of “The Phantom of the Opera” are perfect!

As for “The X-Files”, I felt a sense of familiarity when the beginning of the familiar tune started at the start of the show. It is still the same weird, science-fiction, mystery, detective investigation genre, but this time round, the case is easier to solve. It is rather obvious why the thing happened and who did it, as hints were scattered throughout the show.

I much prefer the television series, although the later part without David Duchovny were more of a letdown than anything else. “X-Files” is not “X-Files” without David Duchovny! Which makes me wonder, why, after all these years and they have developed their relationship to such a stage, do they still call each other “Mulder” and “Scully” instead of their actual names?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...