Lilypie

Monday, November 10, 2008

The Presence Of Politics

It had been one busy day. After being away from the office for two weeks, the first thing I noticed when I went back this morning was that my place had been shifted (again!). Someone helped shift my things when I was away, and this time, I am sitting nearer to my department, just opposite where my old place was. Luckily none of my things were misplaced. Thank goodness! So I spent the morning tidying up my work station. One never knows just how many things one can accumulate especially when you are away! It is always this case – nobody gives you anything when you are around, but the moment you are away, everything start coming!

In any case, being down at the “end of the world” so to speak, I have lost touch with local and international news. Headlines showed that even our local banks are retrenching staff and the news today reported that private corporations may get hit the worst. Down time now! When is this going to pick up and end?

On the political front, Obama has won, good for him! At least it is a first for Uncle Sam, that perhaps the society has grown that they are more tolerant of a non-white running the country. I suppose he will have no problems stepping into the shoes of his predecessor, considering how he messed up, but after all the promises, one can only see if he can live up to them!

New Zealand was also having their elections around the same time. In fact, before I left, people were voting. It was the red Labour party (headed by Mrs Helen Clark) against the blue National party (headed by Mr John Key). That spouted a pun only to be understood by people of my country – Clark “Key”. Hmmm….

In any case, Obama was on the front page of newspapers everywhere, even in New Zealand. Yet the New Zealand elections were only on their own newspapers, not considered an international news. Or perhaps we rely too much on Uncle Sam that only news from there will be considered “newsworthy” and news from anywhere down under are not.

So the final verdict is that National managed to defeat Labour. Initially it was thought that Labour would have a landslide, but after being put to public voting, National won by a thin margin. Thus, poor Mrs Clark has to give way to Mr Key as the new Prime Minister of the country, and she has to relinquish her office at the “Beehive” in Wellington to him.

Politics are everywhere, be it in a country, at work, or even between friends and working associates, as well as business rivals. Personally I am never one to be embroiled in any form of politics whatsoever, but then again, one cannot do without politics as well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...