Lilypie

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Applying To Be A Cathechist ....

This year is really a religious year for me. The strange thing is that after attending church for so long, getting baptised and confirmed, I have never had any yearning to serve in church. I was a Sunday Catholic, then for a while, not even a Sunday Catholic, but only an on-off Catholic. Sad, but true.

Then I started making a point to become more active, starting from the CHOICE activities, then the Prayer Meets, then the church choir. And now the latest - Cathechism. I have known about cathechism for a long time now, and have been approached but have always turned it down because I feel my own knowledge of the bible and the way of life is not in depth enough to share with kids.

Two weeks back, when the church was having an announcement about recruiting cathechists, there is something in me that urges me to go ahead. I never have that kind of push before. It was the same feeling I got when I finally decided to get baptised. It was as if it was a calling. All along I never had that urge until lately. Maybe it was time?

I have always known that timing is everything, especially for God, who works things in His time. This year the timing is everything for me in terms of religious activities. Hence I thought why not? Afterall, the best way to learn and improve is to teach and share at the same time. Besides, I do miss my education days. I still find it fulfilling to work with kids and I love kids too.

So my friend and I went to see the Cathechist Coordinator on Sunday. We filled in a form, and she asked us which level and ages we are most comfortable in. For Cathechists at primary level, there may be changes after a year, but for those taking the teenage Confirmation level, they have to follow the kids from pre to post confirmation.

It is just like teaching in a school all over again! There are also classroom lesson plans, assignments, vacation activities, calling parents when the kids failed to turn up, follow up with masses, and Cathechist meetings. The coordinator said she will call us up in November for the training. It looks to be a heavy commitment, but anything for God!

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

I've been teaching Confirmation class for 10 years. This ministry requires lots of commitment and time. And sometimes it could also be a thankless job.

But I take solace in the fact that I'm doing it all for the greater glory of God!

No worries about not having enough knowledge of the Bible or leading a 'good' way of life. Biblical characters as we know weren't perfect either. I received the message below not too long ago and thought I'd share it with you:

Noah was a drunk,
Abraham was too old,
Isaac was a daydreamer,
Jacob was a liar,
Leah was ugly,
Joseph was abused,
Moses had a stuttering problem,
Gideon was afraid,
Samson had long hair and was a womanizer,
Jeremiah and Timothy were too young,
David had an affair and was a murderer,
Elijah was suicidal,
Isaiah preached naked,
Jonah ran from God,
Naomi was a widow,
Job went bankrupt,
Peter denied Christ,
The Disciples fell asleep while praying,
Martha worried about everything,
The Samaritan woman was divorced more than once,
Zaccheus was too small,
Paul was too religious,
Timothy had an ulcer...And
Lazarus was dead!

AND DON'T FORGET
JESUS HELPED THEM ALL!!!!
Now, No more excuses!
God can use you to your full potential.
Besides you aren't the message, you are just the messenger.

juphelia said...

Wow... a very inspiring note. Thanks so much! I shall remember this next time anyone tries to be too "holey moley" to me!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...