Lilypie

Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Journalist's Mate

Yesterday's Life! paper featured a full-length article on my favorite journalist. I have written about her before. I always look up to her as my role model - educated, intelligent, independent and rejoicing in her single life.

I have always followed her bi-weekly column every alternate Sunday in the Lifestyle newspaper. Her column makes of good reading, especially when she was musing and reflecting on the lack of welfare for singles, her resignation to a single life, her dogs, thoughts on men and her carefree lifestyle where she could go traveling as and when.

Now her latest article is on her engagement. Yes, she is finally getting married! She mentioned her fiancé last year. He was her college crush but lost touch with each other until last year. Since then he had appeared in her columns but there was some ambiguity whether she was in a relationship with him.

Now it is confirmed. She will be getting married next month so yesterday's article was the last one of her singlehood. Her column will resume in September, by then, she will be a married woman and can finally muse and reflect about how it is to be married as opposed to being single.

I am so happy for her! She is one woman I look up to - loves her singlehood and independence, yet craves for a companion at the same time. I guess many women can relate to that. Most women I come across, no matter how intelligent, successful, educated and wealthy, all like to be married and have kids one day.

This is something men can never understand. It is hard to find a man who yearns to settle down. They are very happy to be in relationships but they fear further commitment.

Men, too, have their own criteria. They ask for the moon and the stars but at the same time, they blame women for being choosy and picky. Actually I think men can be even more picky as women can still overlook flaws but men refuse to compromise just because the woman is not in their preferred age range or the kind of look they like.

Which is another reason why I am so happy for her, that she can find the right one at her age - a man who will not be put off by her age or independence. He even says he is very willing to let her be the dominant party in the marriage, when most other men will be put off and expect the women to do their bidding.

At least this proves that miracles still happen. One can still find love, no matter what age. And sometimes he may not be galloping by on a horse and sweeps you off the feet. He can be a divorcee with a child, balding and wrinkled. But he is still a Prince Charming nevertheless. Afterall, love may not necessary come in a grand package because sometimes, it comes in the most unassuming of packages.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Are you referring to Sumiko Tan? I read bout her story through the blogs. Her story is inspiring and I hope all singletons will be as lucky as her.

juphelia said...

Yes it's Sumiko Tan! I've been following her column from the beginning when I was just a lower secondary student. Every alternate Sunday from then till now, her article will be the first thing to start the day. She is a great woman in her own right and a role model which I really look up to!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...