Lilypie

Friday, June 11, 2010

Good Or Bad Customer?

I blew up at a customer service officer last night. Not just any customer service officer, but one from the Sony store itself. What happened was the new fancy digicam which we got a few months back was having trouble. Not with the camera, the battery was having trouble.

The last time I used it two months back, everything was good. Then when I wanted to use it last week, I went to charge the phone on Friday night, and it was not charging. So I tried again on Saturday, but it was still not charging.

Mr DC called the Sony store where the camera was bought. The person over the phone said as long as the whole set was bought within six months, we could still exchange the faulty piece. So we made a trip down last night with my warranty card, camera, battery and charger.

The first guy who served us helped me check the battery. Again, it was not charging. After putting another battery into the charger, it was ascertained it was my battery problem, not the charger. Then when he put his battery into my camera, my camera started working perfectly. He asked if the battery died the last time I used it, and I did not charge immediately, to which I answered in the affirmative.

Then he said that was why my battery is faulty. How does that make sense? I said, when the battery was flat, I did not charge it because I was not using it, then now I was using it that was why I charged it. Why could that not work? None of my gadgets have any problem!

He then said, we need to charge the battery a bit to let it have power, even if we are not using it, then when we are about to use, charge it again. That would let the battery have a longer lifespan. How could that be? Would that not make the battery weaker by always charging and not using? The power would run out faster, would it not?

Anyway, after that he took out the battery. I thought he was really going to help us exchange, but all he did was to stare at us, until I asked if we could have another battery. He then took another battery and started charging us. So I protested. I told him, I only bought the whole set a few months back, we were told we could exchange the faulty piece, and I even brought my warranty card, so how could he then charge us?

Then another guy took over, and he calmly said the battery is not included in the set. That was when I blew up. I told him straight off, that we went down because we were told we could exchange, and now we were there, he told us it was not included in the set? How could it not be included since the battery and charger came together in the same box as the camera, and not as if we purchased them separately on their own. Besides, how can the battery not considered a set with the camera since we need the battery before the camera can function!

I do not think I am being unreasonable by saying that. But he kept saying that if we would like to go under the warranty and exchange, we would have to go to their technician and repair the whole set. So I said I do not need my camera repaired, I only needed a working battery! In the first place, for such a brand name, how could they sell us such a slipshod product?

I must have sounded really edgy, so the store manager took my charger and battery and used a special liquid and cloth and wipe the whole thing thoroughly. He then tried charging my battery again, and this time, it worked! The store manager told me, perhaps because I left the charger out, exposing it to the elements of the air and dust, hence some of the chemicals and mechanism inside could have oxidised, and so, when I was charging the battery, the charger could not "read" it properly.

Now, that made much more sense! Yet why could someone not tell me that in the first place, instead of telling me something that was totally out of context? The manager even said if there was any problem again, go to their flagship store and repair it as that was the only place they could do exchanges. Again, why did someone not just say so?!

I am not sure if I was quite nasty last night, although I know I did raise my voice for quite a while. Afterall, for the amount we paid, this kind of thing should not have happened at all! But I must hand it to the people inside, no matter how loud I became, they still smiled and tried their best to explain to me.

In the end, I apologised for raising my voice before we left, and they said they could understand where we were coming from. Still, if their product knowledge was better, this would never happen!

I went home and charged my battery again, and this time round, it worked properly and charged fully. Hopefully none of this will happen again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...