Lilypie

Friday, June 11, 2010

Of Communal Dining

What is communal dining? My understanding is that it consists of several diners at the same table, eating all together from the same dishes instead of individual dishes.

Or so I thought. Apparently I was not far off. Communal dining is essentially like what a normal Chinese family does at dinner - cook a few dishes and everyone takes from the same dishes instead of each individual's share.

This has always been a typical Asian concept. Go into any Chinese, Indonesian or Peranakan restaurant and one will notice that these places go by the concept of communal dining.

Hence I was quite surprised when I found out that one of the high-class Western restaurants also have communal dining. In my mind, I was wondering how the Western crowd take to this concept.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the menu and was intrigued. It is a full Western menu but consisting mostly of main courses. The appetizer is a platter, followed by a variety of main courses where diners can choose from, up to a maximum of four main courses. So the diners will have a variety and not just one main dish.

Cool! Now there is communal dining in a Western restaurant too! Then I realise this concept is starting to slowly gain popularity in the West.

Hopefully I have a chance of going there one day and see if the food is any that good!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...