Lilypie

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bare Your Sole Charity Walk

The day finally came. I could actually wake up early in the morning instead of sleeping in on a weekend, to take a train down to the stipulated station, where a shuttle bus would take us to the venue. When we reached the beach, there were tentage being set up and a mini carnival was going on.

First there were speeches. Then we went to the starting point. That was when I took out my flip flops and put them in my bag. Thus, the barefoot walk started. We flagged off at fifteen past eight in the morning. Walking on the pavement barefoot was really no joke. There were small stones and hard granite. My feet felt prickly. I walked for about five hundred metres when I stepped on a small stone, which cut into my foot. It was painful for a few minutes, and I had to hobble on one foot.

When we had walked about one kilometer, the ground became smoother, only to pick up again later on when the ground became even rougher than the beginning. We walked on for two and a half kilometers before the sign said to make a U-turn, and then we were on our way back to the starting point.

We saw a thunderstorm in the horizon. Luckily for that, because the wind was pretty cool and the weather was not too hot. We were actually starting to enjoy the cool breeze, but around the last two kilometers, it started to rain. Even though it was not that heavy a rain, still, we got wet. We still continued walking on until we finally reached the starting point again.

So we did it! We walked five kilometers barefoot, in about one and a half hours! After that, we splashed our feet with water and wore back our foot wear. My footwear had never felt so good on my feet!

We have really taken things like shoes, clothes, etc, for granted. Until we actually experience going barefoot, or else we would never know how priviledged we are to actually have shoes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...