Lilypie

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Making-Up Or Making-Down?

Vanity is a woman's prerogative. When I was young, I never really bothered dressing up or making up. In secondary school when I saw my classmates coming in for Saturday classes with make-up, hair styled, accessories and the latest fashions, I was always in awed how they managed that when all I did was appear in jeans and t-shirt. I was an ugly duckling.

Through the years, I learnt about grooming and etiquette and started practicing them. Even though I can never be as elegant or classy as those richer and more established, still there have been men who complimented me on my dressing sense by saying I look good. That made me happy and confident.

Despite all these, I still do not quite know how to dress stylishly. I do know the proper clothes to wear and the accessories but that is it. I will wear matching earrings or a necklace according to the clothes I wear.

But I do not wear a belt, or appropriate shoes or even hats or berets or scarves. Nowadays I see people on the streets wearing a sleeveless top with jeans, matched with a belt, vest, beret, sunglasses, boots and a scarf. These are the kind of girls that ooze of style and sex appeal.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to master that. How would I know which belt fits? Would it be more appropriate to wear a beret or a hat? What kind of shoes fit what kind of clothes? Shall I go for metal frame sunglasses or tortoise shells?

Needless to say, my dressing sense, although having received compliments, is still very simple and not as classy or stylish as many others on the streets. I have always established that clothes make a person, but why is it others can know what to wear and what match just like that whereas I do not and not sure hence do not dare to experiment?

The only grooming habit I have is to wear the appropriate makeup to match my image. Ever since I discovered makeup, I have never gone without using any. This is continued throughout my adult life.

Until recently. I do not know whether is it because I have been so busy and tired this year, or that I no longer go out and meet men, but whatever it is, I have become lazy. I do not really bother applying makeup or accessorize anymore. To top it off, my growing waistline and the hours in the sun is only more detrimental to my looks than anything else.

Now I look horrendous. I look as if I have aged ten years, as if I am now middle-aged. I used to look younger than my age and could still pass off as a teenager in my late twenties.

It is true that makeup and the right dress sense really do wonders! One look so different before dressing up and after. All the more because I have found someone, so I should want to keep dressing up for him even if he accepts me for who I am and what I look like!

So when my friend asked me to go shopping last night, I agreed immediately. This is the season of the big sale after all, so I thought I could at least get some new threads at a reasonable price.

We went into a boutique and saw some things I like. I bought three dresses - a chiffon green knee-length off-shoulder dress, a black and white knee-length halter dress and a white dress with sequins and designs, as well as a white hat and a black rope belt.

I tried the clothes on and discovered I look really horrible in them! Not because I look awful but because I look like a pumpkin! If I manage to reduce my bum, tummy and upper arms, I would look pretty good in them, like in the past.

Which is why I bought them, not just to improve my accessorising, but also to motivate myself to lose weight. If only I can get rid of the unsightly areas, I will look really good, not just in the new purchases, but in whatever I wear!

It is time again for another image revamp!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...