Lilypie

Monday, September 20, 2010

365 Days Later ...

Exactly one year and a few days ago, a good friend of mine sent me a certain email. He had become a close friend because we had been talking and confiding in each other, plus getting involved in the same activities and going to church together. We have been helping each other with our problems and have enjoyed hanging out with each other.

Then the email came. In it, the friend confessed how he felt and asked if I felt the same way. Unfortunately, I was busy in a meeting then, and just clicked "ok" without actually knowing what I was saying ok to. Nothing happened the rest of the day and we went home after work as usual.

That was on a Thursday, September 17, in the year 2009. The next day, we met each other for a movie. In the movie theatre, he was suddenly sitting so far away from me! The air-conditioning was at full blast and I was feeling really cold. So I said, "I am cold." And he continued watching the show.

After a while, I said again, "I am cold." Again he continued watching the show. Finally I could take it no longer, and told him, "I am really very cold!" Then he said, "Oh, would you like me to hold on to you?" I did not know whether to laugh or cry. Any other guy, would have taken advantage to just touch or hold me all over without me even saying anything, but he, actually asked if I would like him to hold me! So he then slowly put his arm around me and held on to me.

The next day (Saturday), we went to Novena and then for lunch. All along, he never dared touched me. He was even distancing himself, even though for the past few weeks prior to that, he had been trying to get closer. Finally I could take it no longer, and told him, "You can't be THAT shy, can you?" And then while going down the escalator, he held on to my hand.

The next day (Sunday), we finally had the chance to spend the whole day with each other and seriously talked. And then we agreed that would be the day we officially started. That day was September 20, in the year 2009.

Fast forward to now. Today is our first anniversary. I never dared to hope that I can ever see this day, because I was afraid I would be too outspoken, too fierce, too perfectionist, too demanding, had too high expectations, and he would just throw his hands up in despair and gave up a while later, but here it is! We did meet the one-year mark! Unfortunately, we are not doing anything or going anywhere because it is a work day, and he is due back in camp. :-( Hence, today will just be a normal day, despite being a very special day for me.

Of course, I would so love to see him because today celebrates the first year of us getting together. Despite all my difficult ways and whatnot, he has been unwaveringly by my side. For all the times I threw a tantrum, my quirkiness, my obsessive-compulsion and my pickiness, he always tried to soothe me, comfort me, tolerated me, putting up with me and supported me.

Maybe I have been touched by my cousin's love story, or maybe it is just the aftermath of the entire wedding celebration, but I really want to have a perfect love story. I want to be at the altar in the future where everyone who looks at us, sees how deeply we are in love, how blissful and happy we look, and that it is one union that will last.

I know I am definitely not the perfect person to be with, and it is hard for anyone to put up with me. I had been in relationships before, where even though I was the one who gave more and the guys took me for granted, still, I am never the kind who is happy giving more. I have my own stubborn streak, and if things do not go well or if I do not get appreciated, I will get unhappy.

Which is why I am so grateful for him to be able to put up with me, and withstand all my crankiness. So happy anniversary, darling! Hoping we will have many more days and years ahead!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...