Lilypie

Monday, September 13, 2010

Long-Forgotten Flavours ...

Due to my recent bout of flu-cum-cough-cum-sore throat that lasted one and a half months (and the cough still recurs if my throat is a tad dry), my cousin recommended cod liver oil to fight off infection. I was still deliberating on that when she brought along two bottles of Scotts' Emulsion Cod Liver Oil for me - one original flavour and one orange flavour.

I wonder if anyone remembers the flavours of old? I remember the cod liver oil I used to take in the past. It was white and came in a rectangular glass bottle with a white cap. The orange one (which I seldom took) came in a rectangular brown bottle and the syrup was thicker.

If I remember, the white cod liver oil was quite bland. People have said it was awful-tasting and fishy, but I never found it that bad even though it was not the best tasting thing in the world.

Now many years later, perhaps my taste buds have matured, somehow when I took a spoonful of the white cod liver oil last night, it seemed rather fishy that I actually grimaced! I started to wonder if i actually did ever take such an awful-tasting thing! Furthermore, the bottle is now round plastic, smaller and more child-friendly.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to all the products I used to take when young? There was Glucolin - a form of white fine powder that came in a round blue metal can, which I would make a sweet drink with.

There was Tang orange - orange powder dissolved in water that would result in the best orange juice ever.

There was also rose syrup that came in a red container, where we could either add water and make a sweet drink, or add milk to make bandung.

I miss all these! I wonder what happened to all these drinks? I would so love to get them and taste them all over again!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...