Lilypie

Monday, September 27, 2010

Five Seconds Of "Fame" ....

Last night I had my own five seconds of "fame". What happened was, after the book launch on Thursday, I was asked to interview for the Mandarin news, which would be shown at 6:30pm on Sunday (yesterday). So I went for the interview and posed whatever I was asked to and answered whatever questions posed for me. My dear went with me so we were asked to pose together too.

Come evening, I saw us on television. My first reaction was, "Oh my gosh! I am fat!" People are not kidding when they say the camera puts on ten pounds on the screen! That probably explains why those actresses are always stick-thin, so they will still appear slim on the screen, whereas for someone like me, I really ought to do something about my weight!

Initially I was not that apprehensive, afterall it was the Sunday 6:30pm Mandarin news, and how many people would actually stay at home and watch television on a Sunday evening, plus how many others actually watch the Mandarin channel?

However, the moment the news segment came out, two of my friends sent me a message. Okay, so I was recognised. It was only a five second segment, but some were sharp enough to recognise me. When I heard it was going to be broadcasted during the 10:00pm news as well, i.e. prime time, I panicked. That was the time when my parents watch the Mandarin news!

So I called the reporter and requested for her not to use my face and my real name. I did not manage to catch it as I was busy watching the finals of the Formula One Grand Prix race, but someone messaged my dear and told him he was seen on television a few times that day.

It was also supposed to be shown on the English news too, but I told the reporter not to put the story on, as more people would watch the English channel, plus my dear's family and relatives would see him too. I did not manage to watch the English news as well, but it seemed the story was not run as my dear's parents watched the news and did not mention anything about him being on television. Whew!!!

In the end, I need not have panicked, since my parents did not watch the news that day after all. And most of the people I know were either out or busy watching the Formula One race, so it seems that not as many people as I thought happened to watch it.

Although today, about eight of his colleagues came up to him and said they saw him on television. Hmmm... at least no one said anything to me!

This five seconds of "fame" has been a really fun experience! Now I know just how efficient all the news media are, to be able to run the story just a few hours after filming it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...