Lilypie

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An "Old" Interview

Two years ago, I was headhunted by an American multinational corporation, for a role in the Asia-Pacific Legal team, which I went for a face-to-face interview and then a telephone interview. I got the job, but in the end I turned it down as the terms of the employment contract were too risky for me to accept, since that was the beginning of the global financial downturn.

Although it was a difficult choice turning down that role because it was indeed the opportunity of a lifetime, still, I never looked back. Less than a year later, I got my current job. Even though this is not as challenging as what would have been, still, I am pretty comfortable here if not for the mundane work.

This year, a headhunter called me regarding the same role in that same American multinational corporation. It was another contract role, so I turned it down again. Today, another headhunter called me, again for the same company. But this time, it is a permanent role. Apparently, last year, the company underwent rebranding, and most of the Human Resource and Legal team have changed, hence finally, the new Human Resource Manager managed to get the headcount approval for a permanent role. Which makes me wonder, why did the previous Human Resource person keep insisting it could not be done, ie convert the role from contract to permanent?

I told the headhunter my concerns - that I was offered three times, and turned all down because the role was not a permanent role. Hence, I was worried I would have been blacklisted by the company. She said in all sensibility, I had a very justified reason to turn down the position, so she did not think it would affect my chances. In any case, we agreed to send in my current resume.

Talk about efficiency! Within an hour, the headhunter called me and said I was shortlisted for an interview! I will be going for the interview this Friday. The company is no longer at an industrial park (which was where I went the last time), but a swanky new office right in the heart of Orchard Road!

Perhaps after missing the boat, I could still have the chance to have a good opportunity, who knows? I just hope the interview on Friday goes smoothly. Finally, some good news after all my frustration earlier!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...