Lilypie

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Going The Distance

Today (yesterday actually), I witnessed one of the most beautiful weddings in my life. Of course, every wedding is beautiful, but this is extra beautiful because of the couple and the background involved.

My cousin has always been the smart, capable and well-behaved girl. She is what one will consider as perfect (or almost perfect) – a staunch Christian, God-fearing, tall, slim and elegant, pretty, smart, intellectual, thirst for wisdom, loves kids, loves her family, capable, family-oriented, takes care of her parents, younger sisters and her grandmother, and goes on mission trips.

She is also gentle, kind, demure, soft-spoken and nice. In short, she is everything a woman yearns to be, and a man wants in a wife. She is definitely someone I am not. She is a top Accountancy graduate from one of the local universities and got a job in one of the big accountancy firms here as a tax auditor. After a few years, she gave up a good career with good prospects and went over to help out in her father’s business.

Who is to know a couple of years later, she would meet her Prince Charming in the most unlikely way – in church, when he was vacationing in Singapore, who whisked her away to Sydney, leaving behind all her family, friends and everyone who loved her?

Because of his job (he is a paediatrician in Sydney), he is not able to leave everything behind to come here. He did try looking for a job here but I guess the terms were not up to his liking because he already has an established base in Sydney. Hence, it makes more sense for her to move down under than for him to move up here.

And so, began a series of shuttling back and forth for her. She would spend a few weeks here, go back down under, spend another couple of months here, go back down under again and so on. Of course, they started out long-distance. She only moved down there when the relationship was getting solid and decided to try out the life there for herself.

We have seen how, in the past couple of years, she shuttled back and forth. He would come as and when he could get away, which is not that often due to his job. We all know how much she loved him, otherwise she would never have given up her family to move down under, when she was still taking a big risk to see if it would work out eventually.

Hence, when they finally got married yesterday, everyone was so happy for her. When they exchanged their vows in their church, both looked like they were going to cry. It was just such a memorable and touching moment! During the dinner at Shangri-La, their wedding speech was just so touching and heartwarming too!

The guy, being handsome, young-looking, smart and established, actually said, “I came here looking for a job, but I didn’t expect to find a wife. I thought she could be a good friend, as I dared not hope for more because to me, how can such a wonderful girl remain single for long? But when I went back home, I kept calling her and then I really fell in love with her. She is God’s greatest gift to me.”

And her speech, “We got to know each other better through walks in Botanic Gardens, dancing at Dempsey, and when he was about to go back, I helped him pack. He would call me everyday when he went back to Sydney. I never thought a long-distance relationship would ever work out, but God has shown me that nothing is impossible, that miracles still exist.”

Is that not such a beautiful speech? This is a couple that is so in love with each other, that they are willing to literally go the distance for each other. Recently, I watched the show “Going The Distance”. I love the movie too because it shows that with true love, anything is possible.

My cousin’s story is so parallel to the movie. The bridal couple looks so blissful and so happy, that anyone seeing them cannot help but be happy for them too! Miracles do exist after all! I wonder if my turn ever comes, what kind of love story can I share with my loved ones?

Everyone has his or her own love story. In the case of my cousin, hers is really a fairytale indeed, with a fairytale ending.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...