Lilypie

Saturday, December 3, 2005

An Awesome Day

I count today as one of the few really awesome days I ever had. Why? Simply because everything turns out well! I got a job, paid my course fees for next year, had my hair straightened (using irons, not rebonding), the performance was good, and I get to hang out with a lot of my good friends!

The day started off with me going for a job interview. The interview was pretty good. I got to chat with the Human Resource Executive, then the Manager of the Corporate Services department. The Manager seems like a nice lady, and she hired me on the spot, as she said that although she needs to deal with lots of legal documents, she is not trained in that area, and her team is not trained in that area, so she wants someone who has legal background, willing to read and write, can understand legal jargon and well-versed in legal research.

She later said that when she saw my resume, she really wanted to see me as for all her years of interviewing people, this was the first time she saw a resume that totally fits into the exact job scope she wants. So she gave me the job as a Contracts Executive, which means I get my own office, in charge of all the legal documentation and the entire Contract database. Now I wonder if I am way over my head.

The company is a rather big firm, reputable in the shipping industry for trading of petroleum. In fact, I saw my mum's company sponsoring some of their activities, since my mum's company deals with shipping matters too. I seriously wonder what my mum will say if I tell her I got this job at this firm. But thank God I landed a job and will be starting on 14 December, after I come back. I also want to thank a certain friend for encouraging me not to give up, otherwise I will never hear good news so fast! Thanks a lot! :-)

The only thing is that the office is very far away, right at the other end of the island from where I stay. I have to see if I can bunk into any of the NTU hostels again. But then the company does provide transport for its employees, especially those staying at the other end of the island, so I get to have free transport! At least not as bad as my childhood friend, who stays across the street from me at the other side of the train station, but works as a Process Engineer in Jurong Island.

Next, I went down to SIM University to pay my course fees for next year. The student affairs office was playing "Hotel California" over and over again. Now come to think of it, the more I listen to the song, the more soothing the tune is, although I still cannot relate to the lyrics of the song or the message behind it. So my job is settled, my course is also settled. Since I was in such a good mood, I went to get my hair washed and straightened for the performance before making my way to the concert hall.

The performance tonight went without a hitch. Everyone was good and trying his / her best. Our chorus mistress was happy, our conductor was happy, even our former Artistic Director was happy with us. Then a few of us went out for supper and ate so much as a form of celebration.

It was a tiring but fruitful and happy day, especially for me! Now I can really go on the trip with a peace of mind that all my major problems are more or less settled!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job...life is full of ups and downs...glad u survived through the downs...now what is waiting for u are all the ups!!!! hahaha...congrats once again!!

gus said...

congrats :-)

shakespeareheroine said...

Thanks, both of you!

Anonymous said...

paige_ly@yahoo.com

Congrats :)

Anonymous_X said...

I also want to thank a certain friend for encouraging me not to give up, otherwise I will never hear good news so fast! Thanks a lot! :-)

Awww, c'mon. You do know yourself that giving up is not an option. Corny but true. ;)

But congratz! See, you've got the best possible scenario. Able to join the family trip (somewhat because you were out of job) & able to enjoy the trip even better (as you know once you return, there's an attractive job waiting for you).

imp said...

glad to see everything worked out somehow. not just because you wanted it so, but you actively pursue it. that's gotta be rewarding at some point. no one can be down forever.

addy said...

the lyrics to the song "hotel california" has a satanic meaning behind them..that's what my literature teacher in secondary school told us anyway..and it kind of stuck until today..hmm..

shakespeareheroine said...

Paige, Anon_X & Imp : Thanks so much! :-)

Addy : Yes, I know the lyrics has a satanic message, only if you play it backwards. But anyway, forwards or backwards, I still cannot understand the song.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...