Lilypie

Monday, December 26, 2005

Are Local Guys Pricks?

Boxing Day! I used to wonder what Boxing Day really means, until I found out the meaning behind it. During the festive seasons, many people will buy gifts or clothes for partying, but after that one-time party, most people may not want to keep the clothes, thus went back to the store to return the purchase.

So, items will be like "taken out of the box" and "putting back into the box", and this occurs normally after all the Christmas celebrations. Thus the concept of "Boxing Day" and why it only occurs in certain countries the day after Christmas. Interesting.

I found out today that my mum and I actually do agree on things. She, too, thinks that in general, Singapore guys, as compared to guys from, say Malaysia or Indonesia, are too pampered, sheltered and shallow. She said that Singapore guys still live with their parents until after marriage, thus they take lots of things for granted and do not "grow up" until rather late in life.

Whereas Malaysian or Indonesian guys, especially those who came here to study and work, moved away from their parents at a young age, so are more independant, exposed and willing to strive harder. So essentially she gave me carte blanche if I ever end up with a foreigner. Although I suspect she probably presumes I am still referring to Chinese guys, and not any other races.

I feel like slapping my youngest brother more and more nowadays. He has been irritating the hell out of me lately. I had to put up with all his rudeness, disrespect and putting me down in front of all my relatives in Australia, and today, while lunching with some other relatives, he kept saying I should not eat so much otherwise I will be fatter than him and no guy will ever look at me again.

When my eldest cousin remarked about how some people are able to stay in their jobs because they are indispensable to the company, my brother has to say in front of everyone that I will never be like that because I seem to lose my job so often. Then when I brought his attention to his favourite dish, he told me to shut up and stop nagging him. I was just trying to talk to my little nephew over some issues, and my brother has to say I am being bossy to everyone else, not just to him.

I really wonder why do I not just scream and slap him in front of everyone? Since he thinks nothing of embarrassing me in front of all our relatives (when as if I was already not overshadowed enough since young), why did I still give him face? I could have screamed at him for his lack of respect, but I did not wish to make him lose face in front of our relatives. Now I wonder why did I even care about him "losing face" when he blatantly did not care about me being humiliated?

I really hate pricks like that who think only of themselves and do not care about how others feel. By-product of a Singaporean upbringing. My brother is like that, although people may say he is still young, but still, a normal seventeen-year-old should at least have enough sense on how to behave, especially showing basic respect towards their elders. But I meet Singapore guys in their late twenties and early thirties who still behave like that.

Are Singapore guys really pricks who think the whole world has to revolve around them? No wonder all the real good and decent local guys of marriageable age are already snatched up, because these qualities seem to be getting rarer and rarer where local guys are concerned.

Our government is worried about the growing number of unmarried educated ladies, and keep encouraging family life, but I think they should start "educating" some of the local guys on how to first behave properly so the girls will not be turned off. Local guys complain why women seem to prefer foreigners, thus they have to resort to having "mail-order brides" from other countries, but why do they not examine that they are the reasons why local women are turned off?

Granted in our local society, it is a very realistic and materialistic society where money and status speak a lot. And there are women who will only go out with guys who have money and status. Perhaps that is why the men will only show off how much money and credit cards they have and the type of vehicle they drive whenever they meet a girl.

But not every local lady is like that. How much conversation can one sustain by talking about nothing except car, cash, credit card? Most educated people will prefer someone who has some substance in them. Looks will go, money may go, career will end one day, but someone who is interesting and witty and a good communicator is one whom I can live with for life and grow old together.

3 comments:

Goy said...

I think you should have a heart to heart talk with your brother. As a guy myself, I can be quite brusque at times and I do not think before I say. Tell him how you really feel without being emotional, and maybe he might just open up his bottled up feelings. Just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anonymous_X said...

Your brother just craves for attention. He does not know yet how pathetic it seems. Even your relatives might think "Poor kid, his life is so plain that he has to pick on his sister just so that he has something to say".

Wanna bet? Ask your relatives about it.

shakespeareheroine said...

Goy : Thanks, but no use. Tried that before, only to get a lecture from my mum for taking him too seriously.

Anon_X : You think so? Hmmm..... perhaps you may have something there.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...