Lilypie

Friday, December 30, 2005

Ode To A Love Lost ....

This was written a few months back just after the end of my relationship. Recently I found the first copy and re-edited it into a better version. Perhaps it still could be better?

You are the only one who gave me a Christmas present,
Even when we are not longer in each other's presence.
You are the only one who remembered my birthday,
Even when there is no more cause for celebration.

You would wipe my tears whenever I cried,
Held me whenever I needed comfort,
Laughed with me whenever I laughed,
And gave me warmth whenever I was cold.

You cooked for me on special occasions,
Gave me gifts as good surprises,
Whispered sweet nothings for no reason,
And made me feel loved all over.

But you drove me further and further away
With your frivolity, broken promises,
Over-dependence, self-centredness,
Thinking the world must revolve around you.

How can one so sweet be so unreliable?
How can one so sweet be so frivolous?
How can one so sweet be so playful
And defensive over his own actions?

You expect me to do what your parents do
Take care of you, over-protecting you.
Doing things the way you want
With no questions asked whatsoever.

But I am nobody's parent,
I was your girlfriend, your companion,
Someone who was supposed to be
Deemed as your equal.

I had to call you in the morning
Just to wake you up,
To remind your schedule for the day,
To ensure you were never late.

But you took it all for granted,
Always expecting more,
Never keeping your promises
For what you agreed upon.

Now we are no longer together,
And your life seems in a mess
With no one to remind you of your promises
And no one to help you take charge of things to do.

Now you are unable to achieve
Even the simplest task,
Or keep the simplest promise
Without anyone by your side.

When you were seventeen
It was still excusable for your actions.
But now you are twenty-seven,
How long are you going to depend on others?

So we have loved and lost,
A regretful turn of events,
Perhaps in a number of years
You will be the perfect guy.

But I am no longer able to wait
For you to "grow up"
For you to be independent
For you to turn reliable.

I need someone who loves me
More than I love him.
I need someone who can take charge of his life
Without depending on me or anyone else for that matter.

I need someone mature and stable,
Who knows what to do and when to do,
Who treats me as an equal
And not someone who expects me to be like his mother.

So fare thee well, my sweet.
Sorry that things did not work out.
You will be fondly missed,
For all the good memories we have achieved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...