Lilypie

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Teenage Romances

There was a discussion going on the radio today about teenage romances. The deejay was targeting the age group of 12 - 15. He remarked that kids seem to gain "maturity" at a younger and younger age, and the average age for teenage romances have gone younger. Heck, there are primary school kids dating nowadays too!

Throughout the years, there were some negative reports on teenage romances. About how things would normally not work out, and both kids lost their focus and did badly in their studies. About how the kids got involved in sex and the girl got pregnant, then got dumped by the guy. There was even a case on how a guy jumped off his school building just because his teacher wanted to tell his parents about him carrying on with his girlfriend in school.

The radio programme today asked parents to call in and give their views regarding this issue. Of the three parents who called in, only one parent was open-minded about this issue. The other two said that they would not approve for their kids to enter a relationship at that age. One said it would affect the studies, the other said her son would likely be just fooling around, and it would be best to complete the army before he enters into any relationship.

The parent who approved has a fifteen-year-old son, who has a girlfriend. At first she was hesitant when he told her about the girl, but she remembered that she had been through this stage, so advised the son on knowing what to do and said wanted to meet the girl. So the son often brings the girlfriend home for dinner. Nice mother!

I never had that experience as I was never attached at that age (considering I was from a convent, so I could not be attached, unless I turned lesbian). But I do agree that it is a little dangerous to enter a relationship at that young an age.

Firstly, both parties may not know what they are getting themselves into. (I know, since I experienced that too well, even at the age of seventeen.) Secondly, the kids may have the misconception that relationship equates to sex, and once they succumb, it may become too big a responsibility for them to bear. Thirdly, the end of a relationship often spells bitterness, hurt, misery, especially to a still young and immature mind who still cannot control their emotions, and the kids may end up letting their studies slide. I know that too well too!

That is not to say teenage romances definitely do not work out. I have friends who got together ever since lower secondary, and now they are married to each other. But I guess this really boils down to upbringing, knowing your focus and priorities and knowing what both are doing.

But I suppose parents play a part too. Most parents will frown upon their kids having a relationship during their formative years, but in most cases, the more they disapprove, the more the kids want. Maybe the best way would be to advise the kids and let them know the exact big picture they are getting themselves into, then offer to get to know their respective halves.

None of my relatives ever have a teenage romance. In fact, I think I was the first to be attached at that age. And strangely, my parents never really talk to me about getting attached and finding the right person until I was well into my twenties. Thus I entered my first relationship without knowing what it entailed. How I wish someone would have given me a pep talk on what entering a relationship was all about then, but I suppose one only learns from mistakes.

1 comments:

Greg said...

Discover How you Can Use Your Personal Power to Increase Your Subconscious Energy and Prosperity..Do You Want To Change Your Life... Do you need help in the following areas: Creativity , Creativity, Creativity, Creativity , Creativity , Creativity , and Creativity ... Then quit procrastinating and Become the person you want to be.. I am Glad that you let me post on your site.. My goal in life is to teach people how to succeed in life with simple goal setting and motivation techniques....

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...