Lilypie

Friday, December 2, 2005

Cultural Differences

I still feel a bit groggy today. Thank goodness I managed to survive through the entire rehearsal at the concert hall tonight. We still do not seem up to standard though, so looks like we can only pray for a miracle during the performance tomorrow.

I went for another two interviews today. Somehow the replies seem to come later and later, or perhaps this time I am doomed to be jobless for quite some time. I was supposed to go for a third one, but that was postponed to tomorrow. My second interview today required a selection aptitude test consisting of twenty IQ questions. I was not in the best state to take any test today as my brain did not seem to be functioning at all. Hopefully I did well enough to go through the second round of interview.

A few days ago, I was having an interesting discussion with my Indonesian tutor. We were talking about the different cultures of different nationalities. Caucasians are culturally more outspoken, Asians are culturally more "demure" and hesitant in speaking up. I always thought I am a pretty outspoken person already (for those who have the misfortune of stepping on my toes and incurring my wrath), but compared to others, I am already rather quiet.

I said that generally, for Caucasians, no matter which country they grew up in, they are still naturally more outspoken. I have taught American and Australian kids, and they are more expressive, despite being born and bred here. Whereas for Chinese, we seem to adopt the culture of our own birthplace.

For instance, American or Australian-born Chinese are more expressive in their actions. They show their love and warm in a very nice way - by hugging and pecks on the cheeks. I see that from my Australian relatives. Malaysia-born Chinese are polite and friendly but simpler in their lifestyles. Indonesia-born Chinese are sophisticated, high-class and bubbly.

And Singapore-born Chinese? Shall I risk expresing how I really feel? I do have friends (those who grow up with wealthy parents) who show the sophistication and class of a modern, educated and intelligent person. But generally people of the streets are low-class, uncouth, downright rude and shallow. And some of them have pretty high education. Rather, I have seen some with only diplomas behaving in much better ways. This shows that not all graduates or post-graduates choose intelligent ways of life at times.

Perhaps we have not yet developed the level of class and etiquette as befitting a developed country. We have reputedly the best airport, best port, best whatever, yet our social graces are far behind those even of developing countries. Is it any wonder why some of us feel so ashamed of our own countrymen? This is not being unpatriotic, but sometimes the way some people behave make us feel so embarassed to be considered as part of them.

Take for instance public transport. For no reason (as if everyone is competing for a million dollars), people just rush up the bus or train without caring if others need to alight, or if they have stepped on others. Everyone rush for an empty seat without caring if there are any elderly or sickly folk or pregnant women near them who may need the seat more. It is a "to each their own" attitude, which is so unbecoming and uncouth of a modern cosmopolitan society.

Even for conversations, Singaporeans (at least those whom I have met recently, not counting my friends whom I have known for ages) cannot talk about anything else except being desperate for some sex. It is as if guys think a girl agrees to talk to them means the girl agrees to bed them. Can they even hold any decent conversation without involving any sexual innuendo in it?! I have no problems when I talk to my foreign friends. We can at least hold real decent conversations about other things rather than only physical stuff.

Just like today, I met a very rude girl. There was this area in one of the MRT stations where there was a row of tables and chairs. When I passed by the area the other day, I saw people actually sitting there and eating, so naturally, anyone would assume that would be a public area. There was no sign indicating that the area was for any other purpose, it was not cordoned off and there was nothing to indicate that public was not allowed to sit there.

Since I was in between interviews and feeling a little giddy due to being sick yesterday, I decided to buy something to eat and drink. And I needed to sit down otherwise I would faint. So natually I sat down at one of the chairs. There were a few people there, but everyone was either eating or drinking, and no one said anything about me not being able to sit there.

I had been sitting there for a while when this lady from the next table suddenly got up and told me that they were running a business (Where?! There was no indication on a business being run there!) so I was not allowed to sit there. Her tone was so curt and arrogant that sounded as if I had no right sitting there. Normally when I was in a better mood I would just apologise and walk off, but I was already feeling groggy and needed somewhere to rest, that I really lost it.

I told her straight that there was nothing to indicate that it was their business area, no signs that the public could not sit there, and besides, if she did not wish for me to sit there she could say it in a more polite manner rather than being so curt and arrogant about it. I said if it was really their business area they should make it more obvious, and it was outside a train station, anyone would assume that area is for the public. I then demanded to see her manager to clarify things, with which she hastily apologised. Sometimes I wonder must people be downright rude back to them before they can learn to talk in a nicer way?

I just find it sad that with all our country's reputation of being the best in things, the people are not cultured enough to behave in the way befitting a good country. I am still learning and trying my best to behave in as good a way as possible, yet so many others are not even trying and still think they are the best. Is it any wonder that foreigners think we are a bunch of uncouth barbarians?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...