Lilypie

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Not A Sportsperson .....

End of the year .... and it just dawned on me that I have not done any real form of exercising for two years. That, plus the fact that I do not work as long hours as during my teaching days, leading a more fruitful life and eating out quite often, probably explains why I seem to have ballooned up a little.

Some time ago, a friend and I were passing by this pub with a large screen television that was showing a certain soccer match. Needless to say, he stopped and watched a little, whereas I told him exactly which striker would score, and he did.

My friend was real surprised that I actually watch soccer games and can predict how the game will be like. I told him that actually, I do not watch soccer, or any other types of sports for that matter (except for a bit of tennis here and there). But I have been with guys whose ultimate favourite sport is soccer, and two brothers who talk about nothing but soccer. Coincidentally, all my ex-boyfriends and both my brothers happen to like the same Premier League team, that used to have a certain good-looking striker who married a famous wife.

Thus, I do not even need to watch anything since the entire game would be commentated and narrated to me immediately after. That is how I got to know the rules, players, names of the players, manager, number of goals and wins, various countries that have held the World Cup and European Championships without even needing to watch any game at all.

But come to think of it, I have not exercised ever since last year. In the past when I had to teach PE and training the various House teams for Sports Day, I had to exercise along with the kids, so was able to get some form of exercises done. Now I do not remember even doing any form of exercising.

My favourite sport is tennis, followed by bowling. I have been interested in tennis ever since upper primary when I heard my classmates talking about learning tennis under a coach, but I only took it up in NIE. I used to play tennis and swim with my hall mates when I was staying at the NTU hostel.

Actually I hate swimming, probably because my mum used to force me to go for swimming lessons. I always had a phobia of drowning, and although now I know I definitely will not drown because I can swim, I will still be reluctant to go swimming unless absolutely necessary. Besides, the sun and chlorine will have an adverse effect on my bare skin. Beach activity and diving is a different story of course.

Both my brothers can play tennis. The elder one took it up when he went to Australia to study, and the younger one is still taking lessons from a professional coach. I better retake my tennis lessons again, at least to a level where I can challenge my brother.

The first sport I took up was table-tennis actually, where I used to play with my godbrother and my school mates. But ever since I started playing badminton and bigger ball games, I have not touched a ping pong bat for the past fifteen years or so. During my teenage years, I used to play badminton with my cousins outside my grandmother's house, and always lost.

But badminton was just a passing fancy for me. I took it up only to play with my cousins. The one I always wanted to do well in was tennis, followed by bowling, then squash. So the two sports I would really like to learn is cycling and squash.

I have been trying to find someone to teach me both, especially cycling, but no avail. Both my brothers can cycle by learning on their own. I still wonder how they did that since I could never cycle by learning on my own. So many attempts, so many bruises, so many falls and injuries, and I still could not move the bike after the first step. Such a clumsy person!

I suppose guys should be more sports-inclined in general. At least I know my ex-boyfriends all did some form of sports. My first guy loves to bowl, so we would go bowling together when I was with him. I have bowled with my classmates before, so I was not a total novice, but it was still no fun bowling with him since he always liked to play competitively and liked to put me down for being "no competition".

My second guy used to only play soccer, but ever since he started male grooming, he wanted to look good, so became a real gym buff. Once in a while I would go to the gym with him, just to run on the treadmill or use the exercise bike. An hour at the gym was the most I could stay, but he could be in there for half a day!

When he first started out, he was so obsessed with looking good and having a good body that he went to the gym, ran round the track and swam a few laps in the pool all in one day, five days a week. Once in a while I would join him, but I was not such a born athelete to be able to do all three in a day. Thus often than not, I ended up waiting for him for hours to finish up all his routines.

My third ex indulges in soccer, pool, swimming and bowling. We would bowl and swim together at times, but mostly when he went out with his friends, they would play pool. That was how I learnt to play pool. In fact, for our first official date, he brought me to a snookerium to play pool.

Just as well both my brothers play pool too, the elder one picking up in Australia (again) and the younger one picking up whenever he goes out with his friends. Seems like where bowling used to be a favourite game for the young and bowling alleys used to be jam-packed with teenagers, now pool has taken over.

But I never really like going to snookeriums because the places are normally full of smoke and loud music. I cannot breathe properly due to all the smoke and I get a headache from all the loud music. And my brother feels the same way, which was why he asked for the pool table in the first place. Which ironically I have not played a single game on it even though it had taken up residence in my place since August.

Looks like one of my new year's resolutions is to try to squeeze some time for exercise again. But if I am to start dancing lessons, probably that can also be considered a form of exercise, which means I can probably slim down again!

1 comments:

brockbron said...

Interesting blog about home sauna, keep up the good work home sauna

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...