Lilypie

Monday, September 11, 2006

A Fun First Day (Back At Work)

So my first day at my new company went well. I was told to report at 9:00am, but since my mum needed to drive my brother to school, and it was more convenient to go to the office building from his school, I followed them out early in the morning, and reached the building at 8:15am.

The Human Resource Executive arrived at 8:30am. He brought me into a lounge and gave me the Letter of Offer to sign, together with a booklet of employee's Terms and Conditions and Fringe Benefits. I am impressed by the benefits! This company seems to have the best benefits of all the places I have worked in!

The culture is very formal. I went to work today with a long-sleeve blouse and A-line skirt, and full makeup, yet the staff there look so well-groomed! Everything about them is immaculate! I feel so out of place! I guess perhaps the company deals with hospitality services, so employees must look professional and well-groomed all the time.

Time for me to dig out the Singapore Airlines grooming guide (which I "borrowed" from someone years ago) and start to learn how to look immaculate from now on, not to mention re-read all my makeup and grooming books and hone my makeup skills!

I spent the morning reading the Employees' booklet. I proof-read a Trademark Opposition and a contract to start off. Then I was asked to read the Initial Public Offering Prospectus, as the company just went public a few months back. After all the prospectuses I had prepared in my previous firms, this is the thickest I have seen! Almost three hundred pages! The thickest I ever prepared was two hundred pages.

I will be reporting to two people - the Assistant Vice-President of the Group Legal Department (the one who interviewed me), as well as the main Legal Counsel. My job scope includes normal administrative support, plus dealing with contracts, intellectual property, conveyancing and international law. Eighteen resorts, three contracts each, and eighteen different trademarks. Interesting!

I also met the Corporate Executive Assistant, who joined the company just a month back. That was the post I went to interview for at first, but she deserves to get the job, since she has in-house Corporate experience. Apparently, in the past, there was only one assistant for both Legal and Corporate.

But in the end, all of them never lasted a year as they had to do double work, and now that the company went public, there is definitely much more work at the Corporate side. So it is a good idea that they split up the two departments, and hire one assistant for each.

My boss told me not to say I have corporate experience, as he does not want the Corporate head to "poach" me over. Just as well, since I hate doing Corporate work anyway, although this is one area that is booming, not just in companies but law firms as well. Which explains why I always ended up doing corporate instead of litigation.

The company's welfare policies are quite standard, about the same as most other companies. The greatest benefit is on the resorts and spas around the world. The benefits are not just for me, but for my family and even friends I bring along if I visit any of the hotels.

The official hours and lunch hours are flexible too. People can come in anytime between 8:00am to 9:00am, and leave between 5:30pm - 6:30pm. So if I come in at 8:30am, I will go off at 6:00pm. If I come in at 8:15am, I can go off at 5:45pm. The lunch time is anytime between 12:00pm to 2:00pm, provided we take only a maximum of one hour for lunch and come back latest by 2:00pm.

From what I can see, this is definitely a good company to stay on to develop and grow. And I really want to be able to stay on without anymore hiccups where my career is concerned.

3 comments:

imp said...

sounds great!! all the best for this!!

ole'wolvie said...

Looks like the base is pretty set.

All you got to do is work on it.
That's actually pretty spiffy :D

Too bad I am not really into SPA's...

shakespeareheroine said...

Thank you! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...