Lilypie

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Settling Down In My New Company

So I have been at my new job for more than a week, and so far the culture seems impressive. One may think that for such a company the employees must be those high-class, aloof types who turn down their noses at most people.

But from the day I first went for the interview, I was surprised that the environment, though formal, gave a warm and cosy feel. And the people there are all really friendly, chatty and ensure I am as comfortable as possible.

Not like some other places I went to interview for. When I was a little early, they asked why I could not keep to the time, and acted in such a haughty manner as if everyone was dying to work in the company.

From my observations for the past week, everyone there was dressed really formally, not as in all are in power suits, but they are neat, presentable, and give an overall well-groomed image like those in the Japanese serial "Power Office Girls". I msut stop being lazy and start taking the trouble to really groom myself to the fullest.

Work-wise, for now, I am not that busy as yet, since the people I am working for are letting me settle in first. I have the phone line up, but not the computer yet, as the entire IT department is away, setting up the system in one of the hotels. So I can only get my computer when they are back. I have requested for a temporary laptop, but since no one knows where all the laptops are being kept, I have to bear with it for the time being.

That is the only hiccup so far. I cannot do much for now since most of my work requires to be done on the computer. So meanwhile, I try to offer my help as much as I can and do my best at whatever I was asked to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well for me i prefer to be less formal, so that I will have a choice of my very own dress codes !

eric 3824 said...

I think it is better not to jump to the conclusion as whether the company is good or not ! Nothing is perfect ! Not to mention.....a company ! If a company is very good, the rules and regulations shld be very "tight" as well ! And therefore for some people may not be able to take it ! On the other hand there are some companies that are not so "strict" may deem to be lousy to some other people too......my view is......it come back to the square ! Good or bad.....as long as the culture...location....place there I like or suits me ! Everything is alright ! Anyway, good luck my dear !

Ole' Wolvie said...

The problem lies with what the general populance consider as "tight" rules and regulations. Not all good companies have the same rules and regulations, and this is especially true for creative companies. Look at Pixar. People who work there actually want to be at work, and they have a large amount of freedom in the office.

Too much rules and regulations makes for a stifling company.

Juliet Ophelia said...

Very true! Too much rules and regulations make for a very stifling place. Luckily so far most of the places I work in give employees certain amount of freedom to do as they please as long as the work is up to standard.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...