Lilypie

Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Little Politics Of The Working World

My new company wants me to start work on Monday, and letting me sign the letter of offer on the same day. So I tendered my resignation today, with my last day being Friday.

The thing is when the company finally gave me the letter of offer last week, there was no mention anywhere how many days I need to tender while still on probation. The letter only states that during the probation period, the firm can give a day’s notice of termination in writing.

After probation and upon confirmation, the employee gives the firm six weeks notice of resignation in writing. According to the Administration Assistant, someone still on probation only needs to give a day’s notice.

I gave three days notice, today, tomorrow and Friday. However, my boss wants me to delay work at the new company until Thursday, as he still needs me to be around until Wednesday. He said there was nowhere stated that I only need to give a day’s notice, so by right, I should give a week’s notice.

Well, there was also nowhere stated how many days’ notice I need to give while still on probation. So technically, I can give any days’ notice I like. And because I only had everything confirmed yesterday, that was why I could only tender my notice today.

In the end, I told him that I must leave by Friday, and if need be, I will come back during the weekend and clear up the stuff, plus coming back after office hours the subsequent weeks, and subsequent weekends. But I cannot stay until Wednesday as I need to start work there on Monday.

Now I feel rather bad for not agreeing. On the other hand, if I delay my new job, I may just stand a chance to lose it altogether. I had a bad experience once. I lost a job offer just because I was held up by work and not able to go down and sign the letter of offer on time.

I am never going to make the same mistake again. And from the way this company treats staff that has tendered, it is not worth it even if I do stay for another week.

So this time, I shall not be so soft-hearted anymore. It is time to think of my own future, a new move to something better, and not let anything and anyone hold me back.

6 comments:

Anonymous_X said...

Don't burn one's own bridges, some might advise.

However you also have to ask yourself whether it's worth staying for even one more day at the company that is not even able to draft a simple Letter of Offer that is clear from ambiguity. Heh. And not to mention how 'timely' the letter is issued.

If for some reason--*roll eyes*--you are compelled to feel bad for something, why not this one? Try to feel bad for "feeling rather bad for not agreeing".

Oh and a belated congratz for getting your dream job. Though I find it utterly incomprehensible with how you prepare yourself with the new environment. By coming back to the 'old company' "during the weekend (to) clear up the stuff, plus coming back after office hours the subsequent weeks, and subsequent weekends"?!

sentosa said...

good for you for standing firm on your decision. Although i agree that one shouldnot burn own bridges, the way the old company treats you is the reason why you find a new job anyway =)

Good luck on the new job

imp said...

babe, just stay till Fri and go off. there's no contract stating u've to give 1 week's notice either. don't be exploited this way!! you're too soft and prob that's why pple try their luck and bully u into free labor.

ole'Wolvie said...

Technically, since you have not signed anything with them, you could stop working anytime you want. The catch is of course, since you have not signed anything, they are not really obliged to pay you anything either.

Richard said...

If, as you state, the company may dismiss you with a single day's notice, then I see no reason why you would be obligated to give more notice.

When I left my last job, I gave two weeks notice (despite the company always proclaiming it had an at-will policy regarding hiring and firing of people). My manager was unhappy to say the least - he told me that someone in my position should give a minimum of 6 months notice. Erm ... I don’t think so, it was principally because of him that I was leaving.

shakespeareheroine said...

Anon_X, Sentosa & Imp : Thanks so much! And I did leave on Friday with a proper handover, so I need not go back again!

Ole Wolvie : Well, they did pay me for the more than a month I worked for them.

Richard : 6 months notice?! I thought most companies go by a month or six weeks notice the most!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...