Lilypie

Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Yellow Ribbon Project

I went to watch "Forbidden City : Portrait Of An Empress" earlier on. Kit Chan outdid herself again! How I wish I can sing like her! The musical was like a crash course during that era of China's history. This time, more songs have been added, and the cast and crew really did a very fine job!

I met my cousin yesterday as she wanted to accompany me to my second counselling session. My counsellor remarked that my condition seems to be more stable as compared to the previous time I went to see him. I still sobbed a bit though, but not like the time when I was literally crying buckets.

This cousin is working in the prisons department of the Ministry of Manpower. She is promoting the Yellow Ribbon Project, so I bought one from her. The yellow ribbon and artwork looks better this year than last year. Apparently it was all made by the inmates.

It is good that the public is now being made aware of former convicts. In the past, anyone who has a prison record would never be able to find a job, and in the end return to their old ways out of sheer desperation.

According to prison officers and counsellors, when the poor ex-convicts were released from prison, many of them had families to support. Most of them were depended upon to be sole breadwinners. But they were not able to find any job, and went back to housebreaking or stealing.

Due to this, the prisons department set up the Yellow Ribbon Project to give these ex-convivts a chance to start over, which I find a rather commendable project and should have been started a very long time ago. At least it will help ex-convicts have a new lease of life.

Afterall, everyone deserves a second chance and an opportunity to start over anew and prove his worth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...