Lilypie

Thursday, May 31, 2007

A "Call" Girl?

End of May. Half the year gone already, and I am still figuring out what I have done for the first half of the year. If anyone is to ask me anything, it is highly unlikely that I can say I have "been there, done that". Rather, I have been lacking of time and energy to do a lot of things.

Today is a public holiday. I just saw my chief off at the airport last night, as he has to be away for a business trip throughout the weekend. Prior to that, I had to send a notification to the Ministry of Defence informing about his trip. Why is it that for men who have already gone through the army and not due back for any reservist, they still have to notify when they are going overseas when it will only be for a few days and there will be no harm done?

Anyway I wanted to start the day with just relaxing when my parents brought us out for lunch. What I thought could be a warm and peaceful lunch with my family, when my mood was ruined by an overseas call. Apparently the transport that was supposed to pick up the chief at the airport never arrived. So I had to spend the next half hour or so, making trunk calls and settling the matter. In the end everything was settled, but not by me, by the concierge service who waited for him at the Information counter of the airport terminal instead of picking him up from the Arrival Hall.

Now I know why people never like to be on call anytime. My lunch was ruined, as I totally lost my appetite after that due to the frustration and irritation. As if needing to check mails beyond office hours is not enough, now I have to be on standby all the time as well?! What a life!

2 comments:

Richard said...

Being on call is awful and I will never agree to it.

I am sure I lost one job when the manager asked me if I would be willing to take a laptop with me on vacation and be available. I said no; when I am on vacation, I am incommunicado.

When I was on sabbatical two years ago, I left my phone number (I don't have a cell phone, just a landline), but I never answered any call, nor did I promptly respond. I always waited until the next day (at least) before calling back. I made sure I called on my schedule (mind you, I was rather despondent at the time, so had they dismissed me, I would have felt relieved).

juphelia said...

Yes, it is very irritating indeed. I never like to do that, but I do give allowances when there is something absolutely urgent. But so far, whenever I am on vacation, things have been really peaceful and my office staff leave me alone. Hope that continues.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...